• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy classification for a classic car display building

Coder

Silver Member
The building is located on a property that is covered with various historic buildings of all shapes and sizes. This "car barn" is pretty large already. I am currently going with an Occ class of S-2. Anyone have any input otherwise? The Owner would like to add on to the building making it a total of 15,500 which exceeds the max bldg area for type VB const. Which opens up a whole other can of worms. Fire walls or sprinklers/dry system. etc. Just seeing if I am overlooking a less stringent option for the owner. Thanks

S-1? A-3? now I am really confused. Not trying to contradict you guys so don't take it the wrong way. Just trying to get a handle on this. Yes there will be people in there looking at the cars sometimes (some really nice ones I might add) but how does it differ from an enclosed, open to the public, parking garage? (S-2)

A-3, Exhibit halls and museums. I have worked on a couple of A-3 car museums. Not to confuse you more, but an auto dealership would be an M. Same cars, just a different occupancy.

Mr. Inspector,

I agree with Coug Dad, ..should be an A-3! The difference in the A-3 and

your S-2 is the occupant loading.

what is the intended purpose of the building??

mainly storage?? s-1

or is is to display the vehicles to the public???? A-3

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the knowledge you all share. A-3 makes sense.

Sorry, I was in line with cda, thinking for storage only. But looking at the S-2 laundry list with parking garages, I colud see that being applied, or the A-3.

Agree A-3 and cars on display usually don't have fuel tanks filled and most of the time batteries are even removed

Sprinkler the building and you will get a 300% increase for single story, 200% for multi-story, in addition to any frontage increases you may already have.

It is for display purposes and I am sure there upwards of 100 people in there during our car show weekend. There are also about 80 cars in there ranging from priceless to priceless. It would suck either way if it caught on fire. I am going with A-3 for the people factor. I think I talked the owner right out of an addition due to the fire wall/sprinkler scenario. He is now considering another stand alone building for more cars. Thanks again guys. :cheers

Dont take this the wrong way, but if these cars are so priceless, I would think that the owner would WANT to protect them with a sprinkler system.....Right? And if these cars are priceless, the owner has plenty of dough....and the cost of a sprinkler system would be a drop in the bucket for him.....right?

That Inspector Guy said:
Dont take this the wrong way, but if these cars are so priceless, I would think that the owner would WANT to protect them with a sprinkler system.....Right? And if these cars are priceless, the owner has plenty of dough....and the cost of a sprinkler system would be a drop in the bucket for him.....right?
One consideration is that perhaps wealth has been accumulated over time by the cutting of corners, including code and safety issues. Just speaking in general sense, with no knowledge of the owner in question.....

IMHO