• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification for Auto Detailing Building

Skilform

Hi all,

New to the forum and hoping someone can help me out with a use and occupancy question. I work primarily in residential, but am doing some work for a client who is opening a Ziebart (ziebart.com) franchise location for auto detailing. The building will have a small showroom, a couple offices, and then large areas for window tinting, car washing, rust-proofing, etc. More of an auto body shop and aftermarket accessory business than a repair shop. We're trying to determine if the building needs to be reclassified, and if so should it be Business / Storage-1? There is no Mercantile aspect planned for this particular location, and no actual repair work being done.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide, it's much appreciated!

I believe your looking at an S-1 for the repair (aftermarket accessory area) and maybe an M-occupancy (Mercantile) for the showroom.

Sounds like a "B" would cover most of what will happen in the building. I would ask more question about the rust proofing procedure.
304.1 Business Group B.
Business Group B occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for office, professional or service-type transactions, including storage of records and accounts. Business occupancies shall include, but not be limited to, the following:

Car wash

Motor vehicle showrooms

Print shops

Welcome

Looks like may be doing some spraying, as in a spray booth, and extinguishing system to protect it.

So how may sq ft total???

Check 406.8 IBC,,, Or which year edition are you using????

Agree S-1

Thanks for the quick responses!

@Pcinspector1 there is no 'display and sale of merchandise' (309.1) or dedicated 'Sales room' planned for the building, so my understanding is that Mercantile won't apply?

@mtlogcabin yes, the question we're wondering is whether Business Group B would cover all of their operations. This would be ideal as we wouldn't have to re-classify the building, but going through the code review and realizing we might be in S-1 territory here as well.

@cda there will be a spray booth, but it is a fully self-contained unit they often bring in for this type of business. Building is just under 7,000 sf. Using 2015 building code and thinking section 406.8 is where I need to be as well. Thanks for the link!

Thanks all.

Some AHJ's will still require permit for "change of use" in the same occupancy group so FD etc. will know if fuel loads and hazards are different for different uses.

In my opinion, I think it is a Group F-1 instead of a Group S-1 for those specific areas. The offices and showroom would be Group B and Group M, respectively.