• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
Our plans examiner wants me to put this ? out to the code guru's out there.

She would like to know what you guys typically classify an auto detail shop as(?). She has a possible change of occupancy where the building was used as an auto detail shop, and now the new people want to put in a tire sales, balancing, repair facility (sort of like a Les Schwab's tire store). Would you consider this a change of occupancy?

Thanks all, and have a good Thanksgiving!

Re: Occupancy Classification

Business to S-1. More than likely mixed use, non-separated of B / S-1. Is it a change of use? I think so based on the information provided.

I would agree with hazmatpoobah, M/S-1/B occupancy now, mixed used,S-1 before, yes it would be a change of use

sort of like a Les Schwab's tire store
how do you all get away from mercantile (M occupancy), the Les Schwabs that I reviewed had a store that you pick items off the shelfs and went over to the cash counter and paid for them. They also had their service bays.

They also had popcorn, drinks and candies, so some might call this area a B. ;)

Agree with Kilitact mixed use S-1 and M

If no repairs just tire and wheel installation like at Costco and Sams then its an M

Thanks everyone. I tend to lean towards the M classification, since they are selling mechandise in the store. As far as the S/1 goes, at this time I don't know how extensive the repair part is, if any, beyond just changing tires. If they do brakes and that sort of thing, then the M, S/1 would fit.

The main question is the change of occupancy. It appears that the previous use as a auto detail shop would be closer to a B, since they didn't sell merchandise, and there were no repairs performed. Therefore, it would be a change of occupancy.

Thanks all.

If they're just adding the sale of tires and tire service, then I think there is a reasonable argument that it's not a change of occupancy to M...customers don't put tires in shopping baskets.