• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

OCCUPANCY LOAD IN RENOVATION

SIDNEYAULDS

All,

I am working on a renovation project of an existing 2 story building. The new use of the building will be (2) food + drink tenant improvement shells on the ground level and 8 units of R-2 apartments on levels 2 and new level 3. The building currently has 1 egress stair located in the rear, along the alley.

The intent is to follow the requirements in 1006 for a single exit access, and table 1006.2.1 limits the 'Maximum Occupant Load of Space' to 10 occupants. Table 1004.1.2 tells us Residential spaces have an occupant load factor of '200 gross'. Level 2 and 3 will have 6,500 gross square feet of building.

1. Am I limited to 2,000 gsf of Residential to meet the requirements for 1 exit?
  2. How would I proceed with 6,500 gsf of residential using the code?
  3. Could a residential unit that is 1,500sf be limited to an occupant load of 2.5(max load of 10 / 4 units)
Thank you for your input.

Table 1006.2.1 (Spaces) and Table 1006.3.2(1) (Stories) are two different things. Table 1006.2.1 would apply to each dwelling unit, indicating that each dwelling unit is permited to have a single exit/exit access doorway if the unit is 2,000 sq. ft. or less--two exit/exit access doorways if greater than 2,000 sq. ft. The 2nd and 3rd stories are permitted to have a single exit per Table 1006.3.2(1), provided the common path of egress travel is 125 feet or less (measured from the most remote location within the dwelling unit and not from the entry door), emergency escape and rescue openings are provided per Section 1030, and each story has no more than 4 dwelling units.

$ ~ $

SYNDEY,

Also, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

If you have enjoyed your visit, and have benefitted from
the answers provided here, ...may I encourage you to become
a "Paid Subscription Member" [ i.e. - a Sawhorse ] on this
Forum and to join in and contribute regularly to this community.
There is none better on the whole internet !

Thanks for your consideration !

$ ~ $

Table 1006.2.1 (Spaces) and Table 1006.3.2(1) (Stories) are two different things. Table 1006.2.1 would apply to each dwelling unit, indicating that each dwelling unit is permited to have a single exit/exit access doorway if the unit is 2,000 sq. ft. or less--two exit/exit access doorways if greater than 2,000 sq. ft. The 2nd and 3rd stories are permitted to have a single exit per Table 1006.3.2(1), provided the common path of egress travel is 125 feet or less (measured from the most remote location within the dwelling unit and not from the entry door), emergency escape and rescue openings are provided per Section 1030, and each story has no more than 4 dwelling units.

Ron, after looking into your profile and company, I discovered your book 'Applying The Building Code', and am now a proud owner. Thanks for your time on this post - you should have sold me immediately on the book! Looking forward to applying this to my career.

I’m glad you found it and I hope it will benefit you. Unfortunately, Wiley has decided not to renew for a 2018 IBC edition and they will not let me self-publish a new edition because of our current contract provisions.

I’m working on an outline for a new book for architecture students that addresses basic code concepts and is not based on a specific code edition. I have to give Wiley the right of first refusal (which I hope happens) so I can either self-publish this new book or go to another publisher.

Reactions: cda