• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant Load for A5

mstehlin

Bronze Member
How do you figure the occupant load for a high school football field? I have separate permits for a concession buildng, a locker room, a ticket booth, a restroom building, home grandstands, and student endzone bleachers. There are also some existing visitor bleachers to remain.

Should I do a certificate of occupancy for each separate building/structure or one for the whole fenced complex? The number of toilets required was determined by the grandstand/bleacher capacity, which was about 4,000 occupants

Per code, it seems like I should issue a CO for each building, but I am tempted to just give the school a single CO for the whole field.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Would do occupant load for

Stadium seating

And than separate occupant for each building

Leave the field alone

Single c of o

A building permit begins a process. A CofO or CofC ends that process. Does your local law allow for combining permits on a single CofO/CofC?

Either 50 gross for the field(?) or the exception which might put you somewhere around 30 people? To some extent they are all dependent on each other, so I would try to treat it as a whole....

1004.1.1 Areas without fixed seating. The number of occupants shall be computed at the rate of one occupant per unit of area as prescribed in Table 1004.1.1. For areas without fixed seating, the occupant load shall not be less than that number determined by dividing the floor area under consideration by the occupant per unit of area factor assigned to the occupancy as set forth in Table 1004.1.1. Where an intended use is not listed in Table 1004.1.1, the building official shall establish a use based on a listed use that most nearly resembles the intended use.

Exception: Where approved by the building official, the actual number of occupants for whom each occupied space, floor or building is designed, although less than those determined by calculation, shall be permitted to be used in the determination of the design occupant load.

As a sports field the occupant load would be quite low. What happens when there is a pep rally or graduation on the field?

Perhaps establish multiple occupant loads based on what the field could be used for, like is often done for catering halls, etc.