• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant Load for an Indoor Sports Facility

jrsarch59

I am trying to determine the occupant load from table 1004.1.1 for an indoor sports facility (Using the 2009 IBC). The facility will be a 180' x 300' (54,000 s.f.) clear span metal building used for indoor sports activities such as a soccer field. What "Floor Area Per Occupant" should I use? There isn't a specific "Function" to calculate the occupant load. The closest one is Assembly Standing Space but that would give me an occupant load of 10,800, using 5 net per s.f., which is absurd. I've read that you can use 50 Gross for "Participation Sport" but can that be justified since it is not in the table?

One major problem is secondary uses. A school soccer field will be use for assembly and graduation functions. You need to look at worst case scenario.

I agree with Mark, you really do have to calculate for worse case scenario, largest possible OL.

mark handler said:
One major problem is secondary uses. A school soccer field will be use for assembly and graduation functions. You need to look at worst case scenario.
Any seating or viewing area , snack bar, pro shop, etc??

What is the sq ft break up or is it just one wide open building

without more info I would use Table 1004.1.1 and categorize the use as similar to an ice rink with the participant sports area as 50 sq foot per person. I would then use the same table to determine the seating area as a separate occupant calculations to determine the total occupant load of the entire structure. example 50000sq ft divided by the 50 = 1000 and 4000 sq ft as seating area divided by 15 = 266 or if bleacher seating divide the total length of the seating area divided by 1.5 per 1004.7 hope this helps

I agree that an occupant load of 10800 is absurd for this structure. I would not call this an assembly use building. Based on the applicant's stated use as an indoor sports facility (which is not listed in table1004.1.1) I would pick the closest listed use as "skating rinks, swimming pools with an occupant load of 50 gross (from 2006 IBC).

Thanks all. The building is only an indoor sports complex (not part of a school). There is a different structure that is connected but fire separated (2-hours) that has the main entry, kitchen, concessions, sports equipment & clothing shop, restrooms, etc. The sports area in question will have a basketball court, baseball field/soccer field combined, three batting cages and an open space for exercise/work out equipment.

The OL WILL be abused at some point....That being said you can use the 50 per, but you want to get together with your Fire Marshal or whomever will be resposible for enforcing the OL after you sign the CofO. You may want to up it from the 50 if you have proper exiting and such....OL shall be posted and when they want to have a concert or graduation or wrestling match or whatever...someone gets to go be the bad guy and that person's input needs to be gooten at the plan review stage IMHO.

In a different life I was the AHJ on a 1000,000ft bubble building that was supposed to be set up the same way.....Now I hear they have dogshows and dances and all kinds of functions there....Nothing like a building of that size with no sprinklers filled with people dancing in the dark...

Last edited by a moderator:
""The sports area in question will have a basketball court, baseball field/soccer field combined, three batting cages and an open space for exercise/work out equipment. """

compute for each area, some have treated the bating cages like bowling and used that OL factor.

You can also post the floor plan with dimenions and we can give you an opinion of what it should be

each batting cage has an occupant load of 1 or there will be problems. outside the cage is a different story

JPohling said:
each batting cage has an occupant load of 1 or there will be problems. outside the cage is a different story
How about my batting coach

Consider the story and video below, and the statement of every other applicant "it will never..."

I saw this on another forum.

• This link will take you to a time lapse video of the almost overnight transformation of a gym to a concert hall in our jurisdiction. The original building was built just a couple of years ago and there was a great gnashing of teeth when they were told they had to sprinkle. We heard things like, "it will never be anything but volleyball courts". This charity event featured Foreigner and Styx as it's headliners.

Jimmy Williams

Fire Marshal

Montgomery County, Tx

I like to figure the exiting as the area having an OL of 15 per sq ft. I have no problem using the OL of 50 per sq ft for other code requirements such as plumbing fixtures, ventilation etc..

You can't add exits to a building but you can require additional safety measures for "special events" when they occur.

Easier to add exits at design/construction. We have an "events" center, calculated OL at 5 sf/person, around 8000, and exiting designed. When George W. was here, twice, they packed around 10K in there. No, we didn't try to shut it down..........

I know this is an older thread but I have a questions regarding Indoor Sports Facility Occupancy or in my case an Indoor Practice Facility. A-4 Occupancy includes spectators. A-3 does not. How many 'people' would be considered spectators? A definition for spectator can be one person, however getting around the code could benefit using A-4 vs A-3. Thanks for your thoughts.

Do they have bleachers or some type of other seating???

What is it mainly used for??

303.5 Assembly Group A-4.
Group A-4 occupancy includes assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator seating including, but not limited to:

Arenas
Skating rinks
Swimming pools
Tennis courts

That would kind of be my criteria

Who owns the building school district, college, private??

University practice facility (football, lacrosse, etc)
Maybe benches, no bleachers
Concept, schematic phase so we don't have a lot of details but I think the side lines are 20'.
NY State location

Sorry

You want it to be an A-4???

I think it is easy to get there in a university setting.

Facility could be used for a lot of things

I guess if needed indicate a few portable bleachers

Sorry

You want it to be an A-4???

I think it is easy to get there in a university setting.

Facility could be used for a lot of things

I guess if needed indicate a few portable bleachers

What are you sorry about?
A-4 occupancy would allow the area increase and there is also an exception to not require sprinklers. The facility would be design just for sports practice. Not for graduation etc. Good idea on the portable bleachers. I would feel more comfortable with that.
Thanks

What are you sorry about?
A-4 occupancy would allow the area increase and there is also an exception to not require sprinklers. The facility would be design just for sports practice. Not for graduation etc. Good idea on the portable bleachers. I would feel more comfortable with that.
Thanks

I read to fast and miss the meaning