• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant load

Mech

From the old site, I remember seeing a thread that addressed the first question, but I cannot find that old thread.

1. For a staircase / stairtower / elevator, do you use the area in determining occupant load (for egress, plumbing fixure requirements, outside air requirements, etc.)?

2. Assuming a 2,000 sq ft building with 100 sq ft for toilet rooms, is the occupant load based on 1000 sq ft for egress, but only 1,900 sq ft for plumbing fixtures and outside air requirements? I know toilet rooms have their own exhaust rate.

Thanks

1. For a staircase / stairtower / elevator, do you use the area in determining occupant load (for egress, plumbing fixure requirements, outside air requirements, etc.)?

No. These aren't areas that are normally occupied on a continuous basis.

2. Assuming a 2,000 sq ft building with 100 sq ft for toilet rooms, is the occupant load based on 1000 sq ft for egress, but only 1,900 sq ft for plumbing fixtures and outside air requirements? I know toilet rooms have their own exhaust rate.

1000 sq ft for egress????

I have determined the OL both ways. But if the review will require changes that will totally change the way the building is submitted, I have allowed the DP to take out restrooms, janitors closets, elevators shafts, corridors and such to have the building comply with the code.

The restrooms, janitors closets, elevators shafts, corridors are not considered spaces that are being continuously used as an occupiable space. In my opinion.

I have had DP do each room, inside to inside to determine OL. Lots of trouble to gain a few inches toward reducing the OL.

Mule said:

1000 sq ft for egress????
Oops! That should have been 2,000 sf to determine occupant load for egress purposes.

It depends on what the rest of the area is. In the right hand column of Table 1004.1.1, some of the areas are listed as gross, some are listed as net. There are definitions for "Floor Area, Gross" and "Floor Area, Net" at the beginning of chapter 10. If Table 1004.1.1 lists a gross area for the use in question, then the areas of the corridors, stairways, etc. are included. If Table 1004.1.1 lists a net area, then they are not.

You did not state what type of occupancy. If it is a Business the Occupant load is 100-sf gross area. If you have a 2000-sf gross area building the occupant load is 200-people. The Plumbing Code and Egress calculations are based on the determined occupant load. As state by others there are definitions for gross area and net area.

Gross!

Well, if it's gross it's gross - and therefore included in the occupant load count. Otherwise, no; it's not really there - only an imaginery place where people go when they leave us (to get out oif the building and into their cars).