• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant Sensors-C405.2.1 Clarification

VAC

SAWHORSE
Understanding the spaces where the occupancy sensors are required is clear.
Here is the question
Does the 300SF limit apply to any of the spaces listed or it is just for spaces that are not mentioned.
I always thought the 300SF limit applied to any and all spaces (few exceptions like open offices/warehouses)
Am I misinterpreting the requirement/code?
Thanks!

Understanding the spaces where the occupancy sensors are required is clear.
Here is the question
Does the 300SF limit apply to any of the spaces listed or it is just for spaces that are not mentioned.
I always thought the 300SF limit applied to any and all spaces (few exceptions like open offices/warehouses)
Am I misinterpreting the requirement/code?
Thanks!
The less than 300SF is for OTHER occupancies not listed. So all of the areas one through 12 which includes other spaces 300SF or less. it is a catch all. For example, an IT room with computer equipment that is less than 300SF must have an occupancy sensor. The 300SF limit does not apply to the other 11 examples, just the "other spaces"

C405.2.1Occupant sensor controls.​

Occupant sensor controls shall be installed to control lights in the following space types:
  1. 1.Classrooms/lecture/training rooms.
  2. 2.Conference/meeting/multipurpose rooms.
  3. 3.Copy/print rooms.
  4. 4.Lounges.
  5. 5.Employee lunch and break rooms.
  6. 6.Private offices.
  7. 7.Restrooms.
  8. 8.Storage rooms.
  9. 9.Janitorial closets.
  10. 10.Locker rooms.
  11. 11.Other spaces 300 square feet (28 m2) or less that are enclosed by floor-to-ceiling height partitions.
  12. 12.Warehouses.

The less than 300SF is for OTHER occupancies not listed. So all of the areas one through 12 which includes other spaces 300SF or less. it is a catch all. For example, an IT room with computer equipment that is less than 300SF must have an occupancy sensor. The 300SF limit does not apply to the other 11 examples, just the "other spaces"

C405.2.1Occupant sensor controls.​

Occupant sensor controls shall be installed to control lights in the following space types:
  1. 1.Classrooms/lecture/training rooms.
  2. 2.Conference/meeting/multipurpose rooms.
  3. 3.Copy/print rooms.
  4. 4.Lounges.
  5. 5.Employee lunch and break rooms.
  6. 6.Private offices.
  7. 7.Restrooms.
  8. 8.Storage rooms.
  9. 9.Janitorial closets.
  10. 10.Locker rooms.
  11. 11.Other spaces 300 square feet (28 m2) or less that are enclosed by floor-to-ceiling height partitions.
  12. 12.Warehouses.
Thank you! I think I get it.
So a Conference room that is 400 SF will still require a sensor because the limit doesn't apply to that occupancy.
But an IT room (not listed) would be subject to the limit and not require one if it's 400 SF.
Did I get that right?

Thank you! I think I get it.
So a Conference room that is 400 SF will still require a sensor because the limit doesn't apply to that occupancy.
But an IT room (not listed) would be subject to the limit and not require one if it's 400 SF.
Did I get that right?
That is the way I read and interpret it.

Reactions: VAC
Not sure anyone is omitting OS.
Simply discussing the 300SF limitation and how to apply it. Since this is beyond what I normally do, it wasn't clear to me. Thanks!
I was simply putting what the plan review comment is.....Everyone tries to omit them here...

And don't forget that if they omit OS, they put in a timeclock...

C405.2.2 Time-switch controls. Each area of the building
that is not provided with occupant sensor controls
complying with Section C405.2.1.1 shall be provided
with time-switch controls complying with Section
C405.2.2.1.

And don't forget that if they omit OS, they put in a timeclock...

C405.2.2 Time-switch controls. Each area of the building
that is not provided with occupant sensor controls
complying with Section C405.2.1.1 shall be provided
with time-switch controls complying with Section
C405.2.2.1.
Yes! Thank you for pointing that out

# ~ # ~ #

IMO, ...the OC's are well intentioned devices to limit the use

of electrical power usage when not needed, however, when
installed in some office settings, they will turn off the lights
while people are still working in that office ( i.e. - can you
say nuisance lighting controls ? ).

Are today's lighting sensors manufactured with timing
controls on them, or has a system been devised yet to
control lighting throughout a defined period similar to the
HVAC System controls ?

# ~ # ~ #

# ~ # ~ #

I think ** steveray ** answered my question whilest I was typing my response.

& ( ) & ( ) &