• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupiable space versus travel distance

Hyrax4978

So here is my current puzzle to solve. I have a mezzanine in which we maxed out its size due to travel distances. next to the mezzanine we had an equipment platform the client was going to put an industrial piece of equipment. So it was completely separated from the mezzanine. Now the owner wants to put the equipment elsewhere and make that space accessed by a door from the mezzanine. They want to make it their data closet and have it be a tempered room. its a decent size space, about 90 SF. by adding the door into this new room that was previously just a mechanical platform that didn't have a door to it we are possibly extending the travel distance to far.

There is no clear cut definition i can see if a data closet, or mechanical closet is occupiable. travel distance is clarified in the commentary as from every occupiable point. So if a data closet or mechanical room is not occupiable then i would say the travel distance would stop outside that room.

However the commentary for habitable space says "though other occupiable spaces, such as halls or utility rooms" kind of makes it seem like utility rooms are occupiable. There is also an occupant load for mechanical equipment rooms which also makes it seem like mechanical rooms are occupiable.

It seems like mechanical or electrical rooms should fall outside of the occupiable spaces because they only have people in them during times of repair or renovations.

thank you,

Brian

Look at the definition of “occupiable space” in Chapter 2. If it meets that definition, then it is. If it’s a room that somebody can walk into and perform work, then, by the other applicable elements provided by the definition, then I would call it occupiable space.

Is common path or actual travel distance the issue? You could always ask the state for a mod...

OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for amusement, educational or similar purposes or in
which occupants are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements of this code.

Call it a closet and see if it flies?

Occupiable spaces are those areas designed for
human occupancy. It applies to both residential and
nonresidential spaces alike. Most spaces in a building
are occupiable spaces. Based on the nature of
the occupancy, various code sections apply. All habitable
spaces are also considered occupiable (see the
definition of “Habitable space”); however, all occupiable
spaces are not habitable. Additionally, some
spaces are neither habitable nor occupiable. The
code identifies crawl spaces, attics, penthouses and
elevated platforms (mechanical or industrial equipment)
as unoccupied spaces. Since the code generally
states how these spaces must be accessed, but
does not specifically require means of egress, they
would not be occupiable spaces. If access is limited
to maintenance and service personnel, it is likely that
a space is not occupiable.

If access is limited to maintenance and service personnel, it is likely that a space is not occupiable.

It's a judgement call.....I would have to see it to see if it flies....

90 sf is big for a closet. Problem i see is that it could be not-habitated by the current owner, or current building manager, but that could change next month and then its out of compliance.

It comes down to: function yields form (as in size of space for its intended use) , 90 sq. ft could be 2 X 45 (as in a plumbing chase with a door, is it occupiable, yes; habitable, I doubt it).
You say it is tempered and with electrical equipment (IT) in it. Wouldn't NEC have some concerns?

90 sf is big for a closet. Problem i see is that it could be not-habitated by the current owner, or current building manager, but that could change next month and then its out of compliance.

Then label it as non-habitable or whatever you want for enforcement purposes and anything otherwise is a change of occupancy and enforce as such when discovered...NOT BEFORE....

[A] CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. A change in the purpose or level of activity within a building that involves a change in application of the requirements of this code.

All I know is that in my office our It staff and IT consultants spend a great deal of time working in the 90+/- SF data closet. I would have a hard time justifying not providing them with a safe code compliant means of egress out of that room.

Data/comm equipment is still equipment, therefore, still an equipment platform and not included with fire area. see IBC Section 505

spaces with single means of egress may be limited in size.........
Occupant load will limit the size and maximum travel distance based on common path of travel requirements. 90 sq ft would be less than a .5 increase in the OL for an equipment room. Common path of travel may have increased 10 ft.

I just went through this exact same thing where they framed in between the bathroom ceiling with the HVAC and the water heater installed on top and the mezzanine. It put the mezzanine sg ft over the 1/3 maximum allowable. I had the architect provide the net sq ft of the mezzanine in lieu of the gross and they came over the maximum allowable area by less than 1%. I signed off on it because the state gives the building official the ability to waive minor code violations

(23) The building official may waive minor building code violations that do not constitute an imminent threat to property or to the health, safety, or welfare of any person.