• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupied Vacant Deadbolt use in a Mother Baby Room in a B Occupancy

dkilgore

I have an Office Building that I have been asked to put a card reader on the door of a Mother/Baby Room. But they want to make sure they have privacy when they are in the room. I had suggested using a occupied/Vacant Deadbolt for the room that they could use. However,I was told by someone that they thought it didn't meet code. They felt that the room would require a single action lock to retract the deadbolt. Since we would be using an electrified cylindrical lock then I am being told that there is no product that would provide that single action retraction of the deadbolt.

So I have two questions. If I put this Occupied/Vacant Deadbolt in as a stand alone function, would that meet code? BTW this is in California. Second question, If I need single action Electrified cylindrical set, then who makes one?

Lori, our resident door/ hardware guru, will be able to assist you I am sure....Welcome to the forum!....

1008.1.8.5 Unlatching.

The unlatching of any leaf shall not require more than one operation.

Exception: More than one operation is permitted for unlatching doors in the following locations:

1. Places of detention or restraint.

2. Where manually operated bolt locks are permitted by Section 1008.1.8.4.

3. Doors with automatic flush bolts as permitted by Section 1008.1.8.3, Exception 3.

4. Doors from individual dwelling units and guestrooms of Group R occupancies as permitted by Section 1008.1.8.3, Exception 4.

How about an electric strike

Card or whatever to get in

And regular handle/ lever turn to get out

^^ its not private. The next person with a card can walk right in. A privacy function lockset with a vacant/occupied notification would be the best solution although not on a card reader.

Limit the cards to mothers????

Why does everyone have to have access

How about a regular handle and lock

Person goes in bathroom locks door

No one can get in and only one action to get out

Keep it simple

Guess the zombies got Lori

Use an electric strike on the frame for the reader and a tubular interconnect lock on the door like the Schlage H185 hotel function.

Throwing the deadbolt will keep the reader from working when occupied and the interconnect will allow one motion egress. The latch lock always remains locked for the outside so the next person entering must card in.

Here I am! The zombies didn't get me!

If you had an electrified lockset and a separate indicator deadbolt, that would require 2 operations to unlatch the door which is technically not allowed (here's some info on that: http://idighardware.com/2011/02/single-operation-egress/). If the door wasn't fire rated and therefore didn't need to latch, you could have just an indicator deadbolt without another lock/latch, and that would be code-compliant but wouldn't keep unauthorized people out.

There are electrified locks available with a privacy function (here's one: http://w3.securitytechnologies.com/IRSTDocs/DataSheet/104446.pdf). Here's the description of how the Schlage AD400 privacy function works:

Privacy

Lockset is normally secure. Inside lever always allows free egress. Interior pushbutton on inside housing may be used to select a

privacy status. The interior pushbutton will disable normal electronic access from the exterior. Opening the door or pressing the

Interior pushbutton a second time on the inside housing deactivates the privacy status.

That sounds like what you need.