• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

One hour wall termination

Robert

Hello. I need a 1 hour wall because I am less than 5' from property line (CA requires protection on both sides of the wall). The Roof/Clg. assembly is exposed beams with a wood plank ceiling and concealed rafters/insulation above (spray foam insulation...no airspace).At the interior condition: Can the 5/8" type "x" gyp. bd. terminate at the wood plank ceiling (rather than all the way up to the roof sheathing) if we add a second fireblock between the rafters above? I believe that a certain thickness of wood can provide the equivalent fire protection that the gyp. bd. can but am not sure how thick, and if it would even be considered 1 hour. Please see the crude sketch. Thank you.

View attachment 2185

rake.PDF

rake.PDF

& : : &

Recommend that you discuss this proposed installation

with the AHJ FCO and or BO, ...to get their input first.

& : : &

The inspector suggested adding the additional wood fireblock, though I don't know what thickness will satisfy 1 hour.

Thanks will do.

Does the size requirement in Type 4 Heavy Timber construction have anything to do with fire resistance?I believe it does and was going to use that as a guide if I couldn't find any listed assemblies for this condition.

Thanks....looks like the NDS has the char rate and depth of sawn lumber that I can apply for a 1 hour rating.