• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

One to one replacement

Arcal

Bronze Member
I have been asked my my director to find out how other cities define "one to one replacement". This has become (unfortunately) a hot topic this last year. On a window replacement, if you ask the building department they will say "same window size and openings". If you ask the community development department they will say "same window size, openings and material". This has become a huge issue concerning the replacement of windows, siding and roofs on buildings over 50 years old, multi-family units and buildings of historical significants. So, do any of your cities define "one to one replacement"?

I think you and/or your director should write one for your local law. Perhaps in conjunction with community development?

Agree, it is always local interpretaion. I for one define one to one replacement as the same window/door size and openings. Material really shouldn't play a part in it unless it is for historic preservation purposes. Just my two cents.

cboboggs said:
Agree, it is always local interpretaion. I for one define one to one replacement as the same window/door size and openings. Material really shouldn't play a part in it unless it is for historic preservation purposes. Just my two cents.
Exactly. We only care about style in our historic district. Don't forget about minimum energy code ratings...

Personally, I don't like "one to one" replacement when egress isn't met.

In the historic districts here, material is a big deal.. a 200 year old pane (not the entire window) got broken.. the contractor got to pay for a pane of glass manufactured in the same manner as it would have been done so it looked the same as the original panes.. imperfections and all.