• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Onerous requirement

ICE

Oh Well
I will be doing a repipe soon. I contacted the building department to inquire about a plumbing permit. I can obtain an owner builder permit but the city that I live in requires an isometric drawing of the entire system.

I was told that this is so that the inspector can determine what fixtures were repiped. While I can do that, the system is conceptual up to the point of tearing open the walls and ceilings. I am not sure if I will use PEX with a manifold or branch system….or copper. The contractor has never encountered such a dumb idea.. but he hasn’t done many recipes. Shouldn’t I be allowed to tell them it is twenty fixtures and you are not coming inside my house anyway so what’s the point of an isometric drawing?

I built a six foot high retaining wall… with a permit. When the inspector arrived for the footing inspection I was removing loose soil with a shop-vac. He saw that and commented that anyone that would do that certainly has done a splendid job. He did not look at the plans or the work. He signed the card and left. It was the same performance for the pre-grout inspection. At the final inspection he noted that the wall is two feet too close to the property line. He actually wrote a correction to move it. He still had not looked at the approved plans which had the wall where it was. It occurred to me that he might have been the person that did the plan check.

Apparently the plumbing inspector is way more anal than the building inspector.

Last edited:
Using them seven letter words again!!!

Definition of onerous​

1: involving, imposing, or constituting a burden : TROUBLESOME

Get the Napkin out!!!!!

On an existing house ?? Come on ,,,,, lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Take pictures as you progress??! Don’t cover anything opened

Seems simple

I have inspected a few hundred repipes and dozens since going strictly virtual.

Reactions: cda
Why would an individual that takes the position that the inspectors will not be able to enter the house to view the work even attempt to obtain a building permit?

Is this a criticism of plan checkers and inspectors?

Why would an individual that takes the position that the inspectors will not be able to enter the house to view the work even attempt to obtain a building permit?

Is this a criticism of plan checkers and inspectors?
There has to be a compelling reason to enter my wife’s house. The work can be inspected by video or pictures.

I have criticized inspectors for years. As to plan checkers....I am a certified plan checker but thankfully, not an engineer. All of this jurisdictions' plan checkers are engineers. I lack the education or intellectual capacity to criticize engineers. So the word criticize is not applicable......nay, nay, understanding my limitations, what I do is observe.

Last edited:
Apparently the plumbing inspector is way more anal than the building inspector.
The plumbing inspector's only has about a hundred pages of code to enforce, then they can hit the bars for happy hour.

ICE, I thought you would have your house set up with surveillance cameras by now and false walls like in the movie Willard?

We don't, nor would ever, require Iso's on a residential. :confused:

Hell, they can't even keep a set of plans on site. :rolleyes:

We get the deer in the headlights look when we ask for gas pipe calcs! :eek: