• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Onground pool pressure test

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
ISPSC 311.9 Hydrostatic pressure test. Circulation system piping,
other than that integrally included in the manufacture of the
pool or spa, shall be subjected to a hydrostatic pressure test of
25 pounds per square inch (psi) (172.4 kPa). This pressure
shall be held for not less than 15 minutes.

For a Onground Pool what does it mean and how would you know if the piping is integrally included in the manufacture of the pool?
Or should we always require a test?

Thanks. This is the first pool permit that is under 2015 ISPSC and we skipped 2012 so we are coming from the 2009 IRC for this. Lots of changes. We usually do 2 inspections on a on-ground pool, Looks like need to expect a 3rd inspection.
The pool company is giving me a hard time. "we never had to do this before, don't have the equipment to do the test, who is going to pay for this, it's only 10' of pipe, we need to empty the pool".

I would like to know the experiences of other inspectors concerning this.

Hydrostatic pressure is a fluid under pressure. While air is sometimes considered a fluid, so is glass. In this case I believe the fluid to be aqua. I would stand back if I had to see the test......but I wouldn’t have to see the test because we don’t do that.

Another thing"
[A] 106.13 Testing. Systems shall be tested as required by
this code. Tests shall be made by the permit holder and the
code official shall have the authority to witness such tests

Does this mean the contractor can't do the testing?