• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Online Residential Load Calculators Suck

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I have looked at no less than 10 different online calculators (more like 12+ but many are the same file) and each and every one of them decides the size of the water heater and other options rather than allowing you to put in the actual numbers. What about on-demand water heaters? Some of them are 18x-27w but there are no options for manual input. We have similar issues with ovens and stove-tops. Very few allow manual input of loads and those that do limit you to 1 or 2 inputs which makes it impossible.

I am thinking about making my own and posting it here but it will be a bit of a job. Thoughts?

Congratulation, you have added to the click count on 10 websites.

Why do you think they don’t allow customization? Difficulty in displaying the formula? Everybody copied one source? Trying to show compliance with perceived or real energy codes?

& ~ & ~ &

Rembo,

You could certainly create your own Residential
Electrical Load Calculator and post it here on the
Forum........."IF" you do, you "may want to include
the year of the NEC that is being used \ referenced.
Also, you "may" want to create another "permanently
listed' Topic Thread just for calculations, so that
your efforts do not get lost in the archives.

Just sayin'...

& ~ & ~ &

I don’t have much experience with online calculators. As I recall, I filled in all of the fields but to get an answer a credit card was required. I usually review what has been submitted. Solar companies that downsize service main breakers are required to submit load calculations. Quite often the swimming pool or a second AC condenser have been omitted. Since we might not get inside the dwelling, other loads might be missing as well.

A few days ago, I created a load calc for a detached ADU and it took under ten minutes. The dwelling is only 700 sq. ft., but there are three mini-splits and an EV charger

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a spreadsheet I've been using since Lotus was popular, but I can only post images, not Excel worksheets. Here's a screenshot of it.

Attachments

• RESELEC.PNG
    RESELEC.PNG
    55.4 KB · Views: 7