• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Only one sprinkler head in a big hotel room

sunyaer

I had a chance to spend a night in a big hotel room in Ottawa recently. Based on my observation, I found only one sprinkler head in a room of approximately 6 meters by 5 meters. The sprinkler head is located somewhere close to the entry door of the room.

Does the code ( say Ontario Building Code or National Building Code of Canada) require how many sprinklers and where they should be installed in a hotel room?

Your answer lies in NFPA 13. That's a standard referenced by Code. NFPA 13 is available in a free online viewing form if you look at the NFPA website.

Don't know your codes but 200 square feet per sprinkler is not unusual - but that is only ~18.5 sq meters, not your 30.

I will say that enforcement of sprinkler requirements are not well enforced. Everyone appears to be relying on the engineer to ensure the sprinkler system meets requirements. A system that does not work well in my opinion as I have located significant issues with systems after the engineer has signed off.

It would be unusual for a single head to protect an area that size. without knowing the system design considerations, it would be challenging to confirm if the system has appropriate coverage or not.

Are you sure there wasn't another head that was recessed with a cover?

Something ain't right, according to NFPA 13. This is the most liberal spacing requirements:

1695051110738.png
I will say that enforcement of sprinkler requirements are not well enforced. Everyone appears to be relying on the engineer to ensure the sprinkler system meets requirements. A system that does not work well in my opinion as I have located significant issues with systems after the engineer has signed off.

I presume you ask for the sprinkler plan at the review stage?

I just had a major project land on my desk - 3.2.2.54 sprinklered building - with no sprinkler plan. I haven't a clue where the riser room is....

Head coverages can deviate substantially from that table, so I would always recommend consulting the head specification for the actual area coverage. That table also only applies to standard upright and pendant systems, there would naturally be a lot of deviation for other systems.

According to NFPA 13, the sprinkler plans only need to be submitted before the sprinkler installation commences. I think that is ridiculous that you are approving a building that cannot be built without that component, so I always required sprinkler plans, hydraulic calcs, head submittals at the permit stage. An owner's certificate is required to be submitted by NFPA 13. It details all the design assumptions, but I don't think many jurisdictions require it.