• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

open basement stair: unfinished basement

tomtomtom

Working on an addition to a mid-19th c. house which has been renovated extensively inside to create an open plan:
I'm placing an addition which in-fills a corner: to new walls, two existing: In the space being filled is an existing bulk-head, and an interior staircase to the basement will be included in the addition: because of the openness of the plan, the stair will be open, and the door-way to unfinished basement will be at the basement level: I'd like to design this as a stair to an unfinished basement/ not a means of egress, which would allow it to also be in scale and character of the house.
My concern is- with a building official who has been challenging regarding stair code exceptions in the past, whether the optics of an open, finished stair, serving an unfinished basement is going to create room for interpretation which would force me into a conventional stair.

scale and character of the house
Just how far away from code compliance is that? Does the unfinished basement have mechanical or plumbing equipment? What size is the basement and the ceiling height? Is the basement an easily converted space?

0103a7f18e42b849bd1af2304e0dc15a.jpg

You could have a spiral stairway. If you already have a means of egress into the basement you can use alternating tread device or ships ladder. All these special stairways would have to comply to code.

is the basement part of the energy envelope? if so an open stairway would be allowed, if not you would need to have a door at the top of the stairway. The riser space on the tread is a deferent issue, if you touch the stair or change the use the the new flight need to meet the current code.

is the basement part of the energy envelope? if so an open stairway would be allowed, if not you would need to have a door at the top of the stairway. The riser space on the tread is a deferent issue, if you touch the stair or change the use the the new flight need to meet the current code.
In old houses it typically is or "can be"...Without getting too creative....

CONDITIONED SPACE. An area, room or space that is
enclosed within the building thermal envelope and that is
directly heated or cooled or indirectly heated or cooled.
Spaces are indirectly heated or cooled where they communicate
through openings with conditioned spaces, where they
are separated from conditioned spaces by uninsulated walls,
floors or ceilings, or where they contain uninsulated ducts,
piping or other sources of heating or cooling.