• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Open-cell foam insulation

Inspector Gadget

Fascinating issue at our office today.
One of our guys found the following product being applied in exterior walls:

This product doesn't meet the requirements of CSA S705.1, which is mandated by Part 9.

1705002730687.png

So strictly speaking, y'all can't use that for thermal insulation, as I see it.

Anyone aware of any guidances or supplemental testing that might make this work? I can't find anything, and my colleague delved into the CMHC testing database without finding anything of merit.

I am unaware of any supplemental testing, for what its worth.

Were they planning on placing a vapour barrier on the interior side of the wall assembly?

The literature says it has been tested and "accredited" (not "approved") by the CCMC. What is the CCMC?
the Canadian Construction Materials Center. Generally it evaluates construction materials for compliance with the required code provisions. Building officials rely on the results of CCMC testing to confirm a product meets code, however the building official does not have to accept something simply because it has a CCMC approval. Some materials are only CCMC approved for certain applications, or have special requirements that need to be complied with.

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certificat...blications/document.html?id=14128-L&type=cert

705 is just for medium density foams. This is a low density foam so 712 would be the appropriate standard for testing it.

The 712 standard is relatively new. Prior to this, each system was approved through an alternative solution approach.

Interesting that it is referenced in 9.36 as having an insulation value (Table A-9.36.2.4.(1)-D) but is not included in 9.25.2.2.

It looks like its exclusion from 9.25.2.2 might be an oversight in the code.

705 is just for medium density foams. This is a low density foam so 712 would be the appropriate standard for testing it.

The 712 standard is relatively new. Prior to this, each system was approved through an alternative solution approach.

Interesting that it is referenced in 9.36 as having an insulation value (Table A-9.36.2.4.(1)-D) but is not included in 9.25.2.2.

It looks like its exclusion from 9.25.2.2 might be an oversight in the code.
Indeed. FYI, there is no change in NBC 2020.

My position at this moment is that I would entertain a suitably crafted Alternative Solutions proposal.