• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Open Parking Garage- Large vehicles

ANCIDQA

Hello All,
with a parking garage Type I construction used for school buses on ground floor and regular vehicle (employees of a building) on the upper deck.
The consensus is that the occupancy of the parking is S-2. I'm confused about sprinklers requirements?
my understanding of code, if the garage is enclosed, it will definitely require sprinklers.
But what about if we assumed it is an open parking garage based on the ventilation area, based on 406.5.11 below, it seems that parking of buses isn't allowed in open parking?
Appreciate any input

406.5 Open Parking Garages

Open parking garages shall comply with Sections 406.2, 406.4 and 406.5.

406.5.11 Prohibitions

The following uses and alterations are not permitted:
  1. Vehicle repair work.
  2. Parking of buses, trucks and similar vehicles.
  3. Partial or complete closing of required openings in exterior walls by tarpaulins or any other means.
  4. Dispensing of fuel.

Additionally, [F] 903.2.10.1 Commercial Parking Garages

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout buildings used for storage of commercial motor vehicles where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).

It would be considered an enclosed parking garage. An enclosed parking garage is essentially anything that does not conform to the requirements of an open parking garage. Since buses are prohibited in open parking garages, your only choice is to comply with the requirements for enclosed parking garages.

This means that sprinkler and ventilation systems are required, and the height and area of the garage are limited to the requirements of Section 504. However, you can use Section 510.3, which offers some benefits.

It would be considered an enclosed parking garage. An enclosed parking garage is essentially anything that does not conform to the requirements of an open parking garage. Since buses are prohibited in open parking garages, your only choice is to comply with the requirements for enclosed parking garages.

This means that sprinkler and ventilation systems are required, and the height and area of the garage are limited to the requirements of Section 504. However, you can use Section 510.3, which offers some benefits.
Thank you. I did come to the same conclusion and shared it at my office, however, because the cost estimate ramification we are trying to find if there is any way to have the bus remain under open-parking?