• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Open vent condensate

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Never saw anything like this before. There is an actual clean out that has the orange sticker on top of the cab for the trap. I don’t know why they would add this vertical fence without a cap. Has anyone seen this before? I am requiring that it be capped off even if removable.
B49FB4C6-B72B-475C-9824-F942720F79BF.jpeg

Yes at my house, if you mean the white pipe

Thought the open was so a vacuum or other would not be created??

It looks like it may be entering directly into the sanitary drain line.

I see this sometimes at the furnace A-frame discharge port, vent tee.

The trap should be higher to avoid the long vent pipe

This vent is AFTER the trap and must remain open to be effective. The vent opening should always rise above the trip level of the condensate overflow switch when it is in the primary drain line or pan or above the secondary/aux overflow port on the primary drain pan. That helps ensure that that the water properly trips the switch instead of overflowing out of the vent if a backup occurs.

I've seen this frequently but always discharging outside the building, not into sanitary drainage.