• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Open Yards in A-5 unlimited Area Occupancies

Amy Bramwell

I am working on an outdoor amphitheater/music venue on a tight site. A-5 buildings are unlimited area buildings but there is no mention of them in 507 that would seem to require 60’ open yards. The seating capacity is ~3700 and the spectators are entirely outside on tiered concrete seating. The seating area is completely surrounded on all sides by the stage and support/services areas. There is plenty of egress to get spectators out of the seating area, but on two sides the surrounding yards are less that 60’. Does the requirement apply here?

There is actually a lot of structure to it. Stage and ancillary support areas (dressing rooms, technical areas), concessions, restrooms, box office, etc. Its a large building ~ 90,000sf including the spectator area with many enclosed areas, there is just no roof over the seating. I may be creating code issues where they do not exist, but there is very little to go on in the IBC to build a code base line for this occupancy. Every construction type is unlimited area and height, but I find it hard to believe that a Type V is in the spirit of this occupancy. Feels like I am missing something.

I do appreciate all your help!

I think you can build an unlimited mall out of wood???

Or use to be able to???

The stage and auxiliary areas are more of an A-3 occupancy, the seating portion of the facility is more like a A-5. However, the caveat is that A-5 occupancies are for outdoor viewing only. Since the stage is indoor and not being view outdoors per sec, I believe it more closely resembles an A-3 which is a catch all for assembly. Hopefully, the AHJ will be forward thinking and not try to may you fire sprinkler the sky which does not work.