• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NathanH

Hello, this is my first post. Thank you for taking the time to help!

Diagram.png

The image above shows an existing building with an addition that wrap around to create an interior court. The building is over it's allowable area, and the red indicates where I am planning to have a fire barrier. It is in the existing because I can't let it partition the spaces I am creating in the renovation portion on that end. The interior court is surrounded by windows on both the existing and addition side.

The difficulty I am having is that in the OBC, 705.3 states that I have to use an imaginary lot line between separate buildings to determine Fire Separation Distance which is how I figure out opening protectives and so forth. But I can't determine how to draw an imaginary line that makes sense. If I bisect the courtyard I inevitably intersects the building at the line's end points.
I don't believe an imaginary line is the answer; my first thought is that since it's a fire barrier (and not a wall) the buildings shouldn't be treated as two separate buildings (3403 specifically defines a fire wall as two separate, but not fire barrier), but the exception under 705.3 seems to suggest since I don't comply with chapter 5's allowable area the buildings are two separate buildings.

What I need to know is how to treat this interior court, and if I need to rate openings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am working on speaking with a plans examiner on this, but I figured I'd try this forum first.

Thanks again!

If the building is over the allowable area, then you need to use a fire wall and not a fire barrier two separate the two buildings.

I appreciate the reply, however OBC Section 3403.1.2 allows for either a fire wall or a fire barrier. If you choose fire barrier you have to meet 4 criteria which I meet.

Looks like it's an Ohio thing.

Regarding your question, I don't know what Ohio does, but under the IBC openings in walls of a court need no protection based on the fire separation distance from an imaginary line--unless option 2 of Section 706.5.1 is used in conjunction with fire walls.

I appreciate the reply, however OBC Section 3403.1.2 allows for either a fire wall or a fire barrier. If you choose fire barrier you have to meet 4 criteria which I meet.

What would the rating be;;;

“”The building is over it's allowable area, and the red indicates where I am planning to have a fire barrier.“”

I don’t speak Ohio, but make sure you are reading this correctly:;

Is this the wording you are using????::;

3403.1.2 Additions to buildings of Groups other than R and I occupancies

When the combined height and area of the existing building and the new addition exceeds the height and area allowed by Chapter 5, a fire wall that complies with Section 706 or a fire barrier that complies with Section 707 shall be provided between the addition and the existing building. When a fire wall is constructed to separate the existing building from the addition, the addition shall be considered a separate building. When a fire barrier is constructed to separate the existing building from the addition, the combined height and area of the addition and existing building shall be used to determine construction type and fire protection requirements for the addition

https://up.codes/viewer/ohio/oh-building-code-2011/chapter/34/existing-buildings-and-structures#34

I don’t speak Ohio, but make sure you are reading this correctly:;

Is this the wording you are using????::;

3403.1.2 Additions to buildings of Groups other than R and I occupancies

When the combined height and area of the existing building and the new addition exceeds the height and area allowed by Chapter 5, a fire wall that complies with Section 706 or a fire barrier that complies with Section 707 shall be provided between the addition and the existing building. When a fire wall is constructed to separate the existing building from the addition, the addition shall be considered a separate building. When a fire barrier is constructed to separate the existing building from the addition, the combined height and area of the addition and existing building shall be used to determine construction type and fire protection requirements for the addition

https://up.codes/viewer/ohio/oh-building-code-2011/chapter/34/existing-buildings-and-structures#34

The code I am referencing is in the image below. I have spoken to a plans examiner about this code in the past and he confirmed in his interpretation that a fire wall or a fire barrier can be used.

https://i.postimg.cc/V66vwZfd/Code.jpg

Reactions: cda