• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

operating instructions required

ICE

Oh Well
Where in any code will I find a requirement to provide operating instructions and installation instructions for HVAC equipment? Furnace, condenser and coil.

I also need a code section for a P-trap on the condensate drain pipe.

Thanks

Doesn’t the trap come from code requiring the equipment go be installed in accordance with mfgr requirements? I know carrier requires a proper trap. I don’t know if its a P trap, but generally the require a 2” loop below the outflow pipe.

IMC 304.1 General. Equipment and appliances shall be installed
as required by the terms of their approval, in accordance with
the conditions of the listing, the manufacturer’s installation
instructions and this code. Manufacturer’s installation
instructions shall be available on the job site at the time of
inspection.

IMC 307.2.4 Traps. Condensate drains shall be trapped as
required by the equipment or appliance manufacturer.

Condensing furnaces will have a factory installed or supplied trap that must be used. AC coils will typically require traps only if on the negative side of the blower. Section 307 covers all condensate requirements. The same requirements are also in the IFGC and the IRC.

Where in any code will I find a requirement to provide operating instructions and installation instructions for HVAC equipment?

Residential or commercial?

2018 IMC
307.2.4 Traps.
Condensate drains shall be trapped as required by the equipment or appliance manufacturer.

307.2.4.1 Ductless mini-split system traps.
Ductless mini-split equipment that produces condensate shall be provided with an inline check valve located in the drain line, or a trap.

R109.1.6.2 Operation and Maintenance Manual

At the time of final inspection, a manual, compact disc, web-based reference or other media acceptable to the enforcing agency shall be placed in the building in accordance with the California Green Building Standards Code, Chapter 4, Division 4.4.

Unfortunately CA Mechanical Code is based off of the Uniform Codes, but I found this in the CA Mech code, this should cover you.

104.4.6 Retention of Plans

One set of approved construction documents and computations shall be retained by the Authority Having Jurisdiction until final approval of the work is covered therein.

One set of approved construction documents, computations, and manufacturer's installation instructions shall be returned to the applicant, and said set shall be kept on the site of the building or work at times during which the work authorized thereby is in progress.

I do not see where the operating instructions are required to be on site but the energy code requires they be identified so you can get them. As others have stated the equipment is to be installed according to the manufactures installation instructions and they need to be onsite at the time of inspection. The installation instructions usually include the operating instructions.

2018 IECC
R303.3 Maintenance information.
Maintenance instructions shall be furnished for equipment and systems that require preventive maintenance. Required regular maintenance actions shall be clearly stated and incorporated on a readily accessible label. The label shall include the title or publication number for the operation and maintenance manual for that particular model and type of product.