• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Options for dealing with hostile complainants (most extreme)

JimmyTreeX

How is everyone, hope all is well.

I wanted to reach out to get some advice and hopefully learn something new about a situation my department is currently dealing with. We are no stranger to crazy, unreasonable, unpleasant complainants (as I’m sure all of you can relate), but we are currently dealing with the “king” of them all. I’ve been a code inspector for 16 years and I’ve never seen someone go to the levels this guy has. He lives in an apartment complex and we actually did everything he initially wanted, causing us to write up EVERY single little thing (most that we would not normally pay any attention to because of how minimal they were). Ended up with 35 violations for a small 1 bedroom apartment and common areas of his building. After the 30 days were up and the violations weren’t corrected, WE all of the sudden became his enemy. He has since tortured us: constant calls to the inspector, his supervisor (me), the Director, etc. Threatening us all, being extremely verbally abusive, etc. etc. He then went up the chain to the Deputy Mayor, then the Mayor, and is now going after the City Council. He is actually going after the Council President by going to her opponent.

I can’t really do what he has put us through any justice here, it’s unbelievable. Remind you, we went above and beyond for this guy before he became totally insane, so all his complaints to our superiors are unfounded. The only way I can describe it that he has been possessed by the devil (I was going to say obsessed, but he has become “evil.”). Like he’s going to the State to try and get our certifications suspended. We aren’t worried because we have done nothing wrong, but we’ll have to waste time and justify our actions, etc. etc. We then find out that it’s all because he’s being evicted, which is nothing new for us, but it’s never gone to this extreme. I again just want to remind everyone that this is no normal unreasonable tenant, I am not doing it justice.

So the reason I am here is to find out what options we have. It’s to the point where it’s harassment. Constant extreme verbal abuse, constant threats, actively trying to get us fired, trying to get politicians in trouble, etc etc, and yet he still calls every day with new complaints. He has gone over every inch of the apartment complex and demands that we go there every day to write up something else he found. At what point can we tell a citizen that ”we’re done.” That we are going to no longer deal with him. I’m asking if there is anything legally that backs us up? We can tell anyone that we are done working with them, but that’ll just give this guy more ammo, so is there a way we can legally cut him off? He is literally using us as a weapon, then threatens us when he doesn’t get/hear what he wants. What would “you” do? Also, is there something that we can refer to when there is a minor violation (a small area of a wall that needs paint, or some very minimal cosmetic issue) that we decide we don’t want to cite because of how minimal it is? Because we did that with a few things but he of course threatened us. I know it’s at our discretion, and maybe that’s the answer.

I’m sorry for the rant, I should have somehow made this 4-5 sentences, please let me know if you need clarification. I ultimately want to know the best, legal way to refuse service to a citizen when working for a municipality. Thank you.

City attorney? Cease & desist order? Has he made any threats that the police could use for an arrest warrant?

I guess the good news is that he has been so vocal and has touched so many people, it’s clear your department isn’t to blame.

Two things that I have found to be true:
1. When seemingly normal, rational people go off the rails there can be an underlying cause. Sometimes it is an emotional issue such as the loss of a loved one and it can also be a physical malady.
2. Give it time and it will pass.

Thirty-five violations including such things as missing paint indicates that you went too far. Once a violation is cited there is not much room for maneuvering. As long as the character of the threats is limited to nonsense like "I'll get you fired" and "I'll cast an evil spell on you", you'll just have to grin a bear it.

This is an excellent subject for discussion.

My first concern is that when staff started writing up things that they wouldn't have otherwise. In general, the complainant does not dictate what we do. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the change, it could have been a million other things. It's just something I wanted to point out.

At this stage, when you have a professional disgruntled person, you cannot give them any level of reinforcement that their behavior actually gives them what they are asking for. We teach people how to treat us. When we bend for the irate person just to get them out of our face, we just taught them that to get their way with us, they need to abuse us. This is no different than a parent dealing with their toddler.

I'm happy to hear that both at a staff and political level, you are all toeing the line. Nothing is better than a common message.

This person will not stop. They won't stop because they are personally slighted. They will not stop until that slight is corrected. Each day that the slight is not corrected, the costs of correction increase. At this stage, the perceived costs of the slight are staggeringly more than anything a "reasonable" person could ever expect for a resolution. So, they will never stop, they are at war. You are now the enemy too and they have a need to "defeat" their enemy.

We've all ran into someone still stewing from a minor issue with enforcement from like 20 years ago. They recall the sins that the "evil" government official visited on them all that time ago with unbelievable detail. We've all met one, not because there are many of them, but just because they are so vocal, telling anyone who will listen their story of woe. You are just witnessing the creation of one of these people.

All you can do at this stage is cease engaging with this person. Do your job, just like you have been all along. Leadership should make it clear (to staff and this person) the policy related to harassment and threats. My folks had to give one warning and then they were required to terminate the conversation (a lot easier on the phone/email, than in person mind you). Then, and most importantly, ACT ON IT!

I would caution you, or anyone else for that matter, as viewing the review and justification of our work as a "waste of time". Be proud to show your work to others investigating of wrongdoing. We should never squander an opportunity to prove to the public that their faith in us as government officials is well founded.

Anger is a response to loss. This guy has lost control of *something* - likely the fact that he can't control you, or obtain the outcome he wants.

All you can do, from the sounds of it, is terminate any conversation that isn't civil. Document what you ought to. Do not engage unless required. Also, designate one individual - and one person alone - to deal with this character. Very often, folks like this will attempt to vent to as many people as possible. "I cannot assist you. Ken is the one assigned to your file," mitigates a lot of that hogtwaddle. (Buy Ken an adult beverage or seven next time you go out after work.)

As the previous poster has pointed out, one of the critical things in our industry is consistency. It sounds like you did something different for this guy than you would for others - that's where this started, by the sounds of it.

Create policies, procedures and standard practices - and stick to them. One of ours is simple: just 'cause you squawk, doesn't mean your file is moved any closer to completion. FIFO.

We have zero tolerance for abusive behavior. If there is a client acting aggressively the situation immediately gets elevated to management and from that point on only a manager or executive will deal with this individual. If the abuse continues, the police are called.
I like all conversations to be in writing, so after a phone call or in person talk I will usually send a follow-up email detailing the points of the conversation. This can be very helpful on difficult files.

Why are you wasting time with the tenant instead of the building owner. The building owner is the one that gets cited for any violations that need to be addressed. If the tenant is being evicted, work out arrangements with the building owner to re-inspect after vacancy and fix any problems encountered. You can justify it by indicating a hostile tenant makes to conditions unsafe within the tenant space. Document on any notice of substandard conditions the time frame for compliance such as "within 30 days of vacation of current tenant". I have done this a couple of times when the tenant space is so filthy that I cannot even do a proper review. It is not the owners fault that the tenant does not own a vacuum.

This is an excellent subject for discussion.

My first concern is that when staff started writing up things that they wouldn't have otherwise. In general, the complainant does not dictate what we do. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the change, it could have been a million other things. It's just something I wanted to point out.

At this stage, when you have a professional disgruntled person, you cannot give them any level of reinforcement that their behavior actually gives them what they are asking for. We teach people how to treat us. When we bend for the irate person just to get them out of our face, we just taught them that to get their way with us, they need to abuse us. This is no different than a parent dealing with their toddler.

I'm happy to hear that both at a staff and political level, you are all toeing the line. Nothing is better than a common message.

This person will not stop. They won't stop because they are personally slighted. They will not stop until that slight is corrected. Each day that the slight is not corrected, the costs of correction increase. At this stage, the perceived costs of the slight are staggeringly more than anything a "reasonable" person could ever expect for a resolution. So, they will never stop, they are at war. You are now the enemy too and they have a need to "defeat" their enemy.

We've all ran into someone still stewing from a minor issue with enforcement from like 20 years ago. They recall the sins that the "evil" government official visited on them all that time ago with unbelievable detail. We've all met one, not because there are many of them, but just because they are so vocal, telling anyone who will listen their story of woe. You are just witnessing the creation of one of these people.

All you can do at this stage is cease engaging with this person. Do your job, just like you have been all along. Leadership should make it clear (to staff and this person) the policy related to harassment and threats. My folks had to give one warning and then they were required to terminate the conversation (a lot easier on the phone/email, than in person mind you). Then, and most importantly, ACT ON IT!

I would caution you, or anyone else for that matter, as viewing the review and justification of our work as a "waste of time". Be proud to show your work to others investigating of wrongdoing. We should never squander an opportunity to prove to the public that their faith in us as government officials is well founded.
Great response! Thank you so much for taking the time.

Have your lawyer get involved and issue a cease and desist order. All communications then go from the crazy guy directly to lawyer and if deemed appropriate on to you again. Need Village Manager on your side too.

Talk with the City attorney.

Since the individual has been evicted there is a possibility that your departments actions will be used to attempt to show that the eviction was in some way tied to the code violations.

While anybody can report a code violation it is the building owner, not the tenant, that controls the property. Talk with your attorney regarding your obligations to the tenant. If the individual has been evicted does he have standing? This does not eliminate your obligations to inspect claimed violations

Ask the building owner to reply to the claimed deficiencies. You will still need to respond to the claimed deficiencies. Your goal is to provide some structure to the process of managing the claimed deficiencies.

The department has a legal obligation to perform the code required inspections. If the required inspections are not performed an aggrieved party who has standing can ask the court to issue an administrative mandate compelling you to perform the inspections. When there is a question regarding the thoroughness of the inspections it needs to be recognized that the inspector has the ability to exercise discretion. While this would not necessarily excuse all deficiencies related to your inspections it recognizes that total perfection is not required. Here again consult with your City Attorney.

Your inspections should at least be consistent with the building code and standard practice in your state. The tenant does not dictate the nature of your inspections. The Tenant should be encouraged to have an Architect or Engineer prepare a report of the claimed deficiencies. This report should then be made available to the building owner. With all of the claimed problems in one place it will be easier to address them