• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Outdoor" Heaters

steveray

SAWHORSE
Seems like there is a bit of a disconnect here...where we have to force people to build higher and higher performance buildings to save energy, but they can heat a sidewalk or deck or patio, as long as it is not enclosed...?Where is the conservation in that?

Steve,

Next code cycle most likely. Some day soon; it will be illegal to rub two sticks together.

SShhhhhhhhh, :)

Uncle Bob

I heard that you can't rub your hands together outside unless you're in climate zone 1.

We use Buffalo chips in the outdoor fire pits :D

A buffalo chip, also called a meadow muffin, is the name for a large, flat, dried piece of dung deposited by the American Bison from the large amount of grass that it eats. Well dried buffalo chips were among the few things that could be collected and burned on the prairie and were used by the Plains Indians, settlers and pioneers, and homesteaders as a source of cooking heat and warmth.

MLC,

Buffalo Chips ain't very nutrtious; but, in a pinch, a little cream gravy with gopher grease goes a long way.

Uncle Bob

Its Green Its Sustainable Its Eco Friendly-

It save all the building materials

All the transportation of the materials

eliminates construction debris

reduces impact at the landfill

Its practically Carbon Nuetral

Did I skip any BUZZ words

And JP

Gives new meaning to phrase

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

I am not sure if you missed any buzz words, but you are certainly being proactive instead of reactive as it relates to this paradigm shift. Your thinking outside the box shows as well.

Hey the quote for the fire wall on top of the pool fence was north of 7K. Might have to do that myself.

Since I'm connecting to a portable propane tank does one need a permit?

It depends--

IF it is build in and attached to the fence then a permit would be required just like a built in grill.

IF it is a portable appliance that is set on top of the fence and fed by a portable tank then no permit would be required just like a portable grill.

The portable device would come under 2006 IFC section 308.5.2 that requires it be installed in such a manner as to prevent flame from contacting combustible materials

307.4.2 would seem to indicate it also has to be 25 ft away from structures.

Hey guys watch this marshmallow roaster I built that works from 15 feet away.

FredK said:
Hey the quote for the fire wall on top of the pool fence was north of 7K. Might have to do that myself.Since I'm connecting to a portable propane tank does one need a permit?