• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outdoor Music Stage and Accessibility Requirements

rbb311

Hello -
I am designing an outdoor music pavilion that is open on all 4 sides, 4' off the ground. The back has 3 large "learning seats" and Stage Left (looking out toward audience) there is a long concrete ramp. Are there special code exceptions for an outdoor stage? The Ramp is currently 1:12 slope and the only access to the stage but I am concerned about the top of the stage needing accessibility. Does the ramp need to have guardrail and handrails? I don't want to have to do that. If I make the slope to 1:20 I can get away from guards but can it be a switch back ramp so it wont be 80+ feet long?

Ramps require handrails. Once it gets 30" above ground it also needs guardrails. A 1:12 ramp has to have an intermediate landing (or switchback) for every 30" rise. Switchbacks are optional for 1:20 sloped walks.

Generally, a stage has to have 2 means of egress as well. If it's less than 750 sq ft, you might get away with one.

I'm interpreting that there is always audience on all sides, so guards are not required on any side?

Not sure what you mean by "learning seats". Social stairs? They can have accessibility challenges.

Agreed for accessibility and egress....And if it needs 2 MOE then both need to be accessible....2 ramps....

1009.1 Accessible means of egress required. Accessible means of egress shall comply with this section. Accessible spaces shall be provided with not less than one accessible means of egress. Where more than one means of egress are required by Section 1006.2 or 1006.3 from any accessible space, each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress.

Handrails relate to vertical - ramp or stairs - and at 1:20 or less I think you can eliminate the handrails. Fall hazard - elevation of walking surface above adjacent ground or floor - trigger guards and curbs. Sometimes, around stages, a non-ramp walking surface might be exempt from guards if it is part of the stage, but that sounds improbable based on your description. Also the normal comings and goings of people and gear on a stage need to be accomodated, but portable stairs and ramps can be used.

Handrails relate to vertical - ramp or stairs - and at 1:20 or less I think you can eliminate the handrails. Fall hazard - elevation of walking surface above adjacent ground or floor - trigger guards and curbs. Sometimes, around stages, a non-ramp walking surface might be exempt from guards if it is part of the stage, but that sounds improbable based on your description. Also the normal comings and goings of people and gear on a stage need to be accomodated, but portable stairs and ramps can be used.
Hello - I am designing an outdoor music pavilion that is open on all 4 sides, 4' off the ground. The back has 3 large "learning seats" and Stage Left (looking out toward audience) there is a long concrete ramp. Are there special code exceptions for an outdoor stage? The Ramp is currently 1:12 slope and the only access to the stage but I am concerned about the top of the stage needing accessibility. Does the ramp need to have guardrail and handrails? I don't want to have to do that. If I make the slope to 1:20 I can get away from guards but can it be a switch back ramp so it wont be 80+ feet long?

You haven't indicated which state you are in and what version of IBC you are using, either way you must also conform to 2010 ADASAD too.