• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outdoor sprinklers

So now the restaurant is sprinklered except the open roof, do they get sprinklered reduction on the roof for the exit access per 1015.2.1?

Not that it makes any difference but this building has fire lane access on two sides allowing it unlimited openings. Crazy!

steveray I think you're technically correct as far as IECC, but the thermal envelope doesn't necessarily have to be at the exterior boundaries. In both cases the definition is not perfect.

So now the restaurant is sprinklered except the open roof, do they get sprinklered reduction on the roof for the exit access per 1015.2.1?
I don't think this situation falls within the intent of that section.

permitguy I'm familiar as glass being a noncombustible wall coverring or filling an opening in the wall, but not a wall.
Many office buildings utilize glass as an exterior curtain wall, attaching them to the structural frame with brackets and concealing gaps with trim pieces.

Since the open roof deck is not sprinklered, (though not impossible); the roof assemble has to be 2 hr. rated per 706.3.9 to separate the fire areas?

This may be where I missed connecting the dots? I appreciate this very much helping me (us!) make sense of all these unique situations.

A building is considered fully sprinkled if the system meets nfpa 13, with sprinklers excluded as per 13

Which would in your case not require sprinkler protection for the patio, unless there is some feature, such as a canopy, covered bar, that might kick in sprinkler protection

FV...if it is not a fire area by definition....it does not need to be separated....and if we are saying that only a roof can make something "enclosed" and a fire area.....build all of the "partitions" you want....

EXTERIOR WALL. A wall, bearing or nonbearing, that is used as an enclosing wall for a building, other than a fire wall, and that has a slope of 60 degrees (1.05 rad) or greater with the horizontal plane.

Since the open roof deck is not sprinklered, (though not impossible); the roof assemble has to be 2 hr. rated per 706.3.9 to separate the fire areas?
The roof is not a fire area, so there is no need to separate it.

You create separate fire areas to eliminate the requirement for sprinklers. For instance, a 20,000 square foot S-1 building would require sprinklers if it is all one fire area (903.2.9). Throw a fire barrier down the middle, and you've created two fire areas, 10,000 square feet each, and no sprinklers are required.

Hey, we could always recommend outdoor showers..........please make my reservations for 3 :)

Francis, glad you got what you needed now go visit some of those great wineries in the area I like Black Dog ;)

BTW............

Throw a fire barrier down the middle, and you've created two fire areas
I hate when they do that!