• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Overhead collision with garage gate

GateOrAid

I'm looking for help with an incident in residential building. I was driving a truck and tried getting into an enclosed garage. My truck happened to be too tall and I damaged the gate. The building manager wants me to pay for new gate ~$25k and also 24/7 security they had to hire to guard the garage entrance ~$20k. Insurance declined coverage so I'm facing $45k bill.

There is no max clearance marking in front of the gate and no overhead clearance bar (see picture https://postimg.cc/GBhjdxpz). Also this exact incident happened here a year ago. Do you think I can use the lack of signage to negotiate the bill? I'm not sure how to find rules for the signage or what kind of attorney I need to look for. Please let me know if you have ideas. I'm in San Jose, California.

Probably gonna have to hire the attorney's firm, Dewey, Cheatem and Howe to get out of this mess?

What reason did the insurance company provide for denying the claim? $25K seems high for replacing the gate.

I'm looking for help with an incident in residential building. I was driving a truck and tried getting into an enclosed garage. My truck happened to be too tall and I damaged the gate. The building manager wants me to pay for new gate ~$25k and also 24/7 security they had to hire to guard the garage entrance ~$20k. Insurance declined coverage so I'm facing $45k bill.

There is no max clearance marking in front of the gate and no overhead clearance bar (see picture https://postimg.cc/GBhjdxpz). Also this exact incident happened here a year ago. Do you think I can use the lack of signage to negotiate the bill? I'm not sure how to find rules for the signage or what kind of attorney I need to look for. Please let me know if you have ideas. I'm in San Jose, California.
Year ago?...possible you can Ignore the bill, ghost the building manager, then do not sign for any certified mail. Without signage, it's a trap, you were setup. Also avoid court servers.