• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

overhead rolling rated door

cda

Sawhorse 123
So if you have a rated overhead rolling door in a required rated wall how should it release???

1. fusible link?

2. Smoke detector?

3. Other??

IBC 2009:

715.4.8.2 Automatic-closing fire door assemblies.

Automatic-closing fire door assemblies shall be

self-closing in accordance with NFPA 80.

715.4.10 Rolling fire shutters. Where fire shutters of the

rolling type are installed, such shutters shall include

approved automatic-closing devices.

NFPA 80

11.4 Assembly Components.

11.4.1 Closing Devices.

11.4.1.1 An automatic-closing device shall be installed on every rolling steel door.

11.4.1.2 Rolling steel doors shall close automatically upon activation or release of a fusible link or detector.

11.4.1.3 After automatic closing, the bottom bar shall come to rest in the closed position.

11.4.1.4 A governor, where provided, shall control the rate of descent of the door curtain during automatic closing.

11.4.1.5 Rolling steel fire doors shall have an average closing speed of not less than 6 in./sec (152 mm/sec) or more than 24 in./sec (610 mm/sec).

We used to have a few in a rated separation between a couple City facilities before they installed sprinklers, and it was both, fusible links and detectors/alarm.

Not trying to hawk a particular manufacturer here but just as an example McKeon doors has many configurations of motorized and non-motorized solutions, with or without egress door built-in, horizontal sliding, vertical sliding, coiling, etc. They can show you several examples of actuation mechanisms. Obviously, if it is motorized, the actuation would be a tie-in to the life-safety alarm system.

Vertical Coiling Fire Door Systems w/ Emergency Egress - McKeon Door

Yikes said:
Not trying to hawk a particular manufacturer here but just as an example McKeon doors has many configurations of motorized and non-motorized solutions, with or without egress door built-in, horizontal sliding, vertical sliding, coiling, etc. They can show you several examples of actuation mechanisms. Obviously, if it is motorized, the actuation would be a tie-in to the life-safety alarm system.Vertical Coiling Fire Door Systems w/ Emergency Egress - McKeon Door
neat stuff

Hmmmnm... thought I could, but cannot find any supporting sections. I cannot find a rolling fire door manufacturer that lists a true 20 min label, only an 'S' rider for higher ratings.

As a thought exercise: if it is a smoke partition, the fuse link will not release until 165 degree. This is why fusible link louvers are not allowed in 20 min swing doors.

I have always hated fusible links

I keep thinking the building will burn down and the fusible link will still be in place, unaffected

No wire coat hangers, no fusible links No wire coat hangers, no fusible links , No wire coat hangers, no fusible links

Sorry have not had my medication yet

I would view it as what it must do and when -

as a compartment only it surely can be a fusable link

as a compartment and area / volume limitation for smoke control system

then it would require activation by detection of the smoke control activation requirements.

You first need to figure out what kind of separation is required for the door. Does it need a fire rating and smoke rating? If you need both you need the fusible link for the fire rated and the smoke rated you need the smoke detector. There may be cases where you only need one or the other. Tell us the type of wall rating and we can figure it out.

One last thing - NFPA 80 will not tell you where to install fire rated doors. It will tell you how to install fire rated doors. Your requirement on where fire rated assemblies will come from the building code (most likely).