• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Owens Corning R19

Thermal bridging will get you all the time. Metal studs also will reduce the R value (even more so than wood studs, since metal is a better conductor of heat).

Thus the big push by the IECC for continuous insulation on the exterior...which feeds the NFPA 285 testing issues.

jar546 said:
Thank goodness all of the metal studs in my house are interior partition studs away from the exterior walls.
Luckily I did not use any bushings, so the NM I pulled keeps the studs nice and toasty!

I've got an entire house full of http://www.jlconline.com/insulation/overbaked-fiberglass-batts-linked-to-odor-problems.aspx' rel="external nofollow">'>Owens Corning stinking batts, now that the home is plastered and both the walls and ceilings are covered the smell has gone away, but if you go down into the crawl space you can still smell it.

Roger:

If the requirement is for R-19 and the manufacturer states that the product is rated at R-19 in a 2x6 wall isn't the inspector required to approve it and not get into other issues (like thermal bridging)? All I've ever had an inspector do is check the R-rating on the insulation to be sure it complies with my Title 24 requirements.

Dick:

R-19 is 6" and is designed fo. When compressed into a 2 x 6 wall (5-1/2") it becomes R-18.

Try again. R-19 is 6" and is designed to go in the ceiling. When compressed into a 2 x 6 wall (5-1/2") it becomes R-18. The energy people made a big deal about this at the Palm Springs hearings. The FG manufacturers could fix this if they wanted to; after all they have an R-21 that is 5-1/2". Yes, under the prescriptive path you just add the R-values. If you are using a performance path you calculate the components including air films for both the cavity and the framing and apply a percentage of the overall wall framing.

See TABLE 502.2.3.1(1) WALL ASSEMBLIES here:http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/iecc/2003/icod_iecc_2003_app.htm?bu=IC-P-2003-000014&bu2=IC-P-2003-000017