• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

P Trap question

Micahkl

Hey had a quick question about the laundry P trap I'm installing. The corner turn is a bit too short to fit with a completely vertical pipe into the P trap, is the slight offset I've got, as the photo shows, going to be OK as long as the P trap itself if level? Or would it be ok to overbore the stud slightly so the female end fits in the stud and then put a stud shoe on it? That would make the vertical pipe complete straight. The wall is not load bearing.
f1JWQL0

It is and it’s wrong. The trap must be located between 6” and 18” above the floor. The standpipe must be between 18” and 30” in length.

it appears to be sticking out of the wall.

Ok, that's good to know. Thx. I'll rebuild the standpipe to lower in the wall.
Fit wise, its actually not sticking out of the wall, as it's in a section of continued wall to the left.

There is more. I’ll let others tell you about that.

Last edited:
Yep, since it's a clothes washer box, rip it all out. There is nothing there you could salvage except short pieces of pipe. The angle of your p-trap is your own doing due to the sharp angle you decided to take in pitch and the closeness of the stud to your 90 shoulder. There are other issues with the size of the pipe vs the size of the stud. Is this going to get inspected? Is there a permit on this job?