• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pa hb 377

docgj

Silver Member
Do any of you Pa guys know the status of the vote on HB 377? They were supposed to vote today at 11:00. Nothing showing on the Pa. web site. Just got back from a sprinkler class. Instructor called his contact at the state level near the end of class and said that it looked like residential sprinklers were going to come out of the code!

docgj

That is why I have refused to pay for any IRC sprinkler training. I was always suspect that our legislators would find a way to eliminate it. Who knows the status?

It is still in the house they don't have the support they need but that just means there are deals being made GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB HAHAHA

Word is HB 377 has passed. Sprinklers will now be an option. "Would you like corian or granite? Sprinklers or no sprinklers?

rsheuy,

Thats the word I received at the end of my PennBoc meeting today (Noonish). Glad it was a free class! Still nothing on the pa web site.

docgj

Strange? Just tried to log into Pa Legislature site. Not there?

The PA UCC is about as screwed up as the state politicians. They demand us to have certs and change the rules as we go. Then ADA and L&I hangs us out to dry during audits. Part of the day is spent CYA! The rest of the day is spent trying to get out from under the bus that the local politicians are on. And they will through you under the bus at the blink of an eye and yet we are suppose to serve and protect. Got to love the job.

sberg,

So what does that mean? Is it dead? Or does the legislature have a chance to mess with the codes again?

Heres wishing the contractors, developers and responsible inspectors good luck in eliminating the sprinkler requirements in PA.

I hit our local state rep with a stop work order this past summer for an in-ground pool with no permits. This ****ed him right off. He hates the codes now. So-sponsored this bill.

It seems that many in PA feel they are above the code. Politics often plays a big part and they are quick to shove us under the bus if we miss something. I would cite the Pope if he was in violation. I don't care and the longer I do this job the more I feel this way. The is a process to change laws. What is happening in PA is with in the process, so if the vote is no sprinklers then so be it! However, I hate with a passion how the system gets manipulated by the stake holders! I will not rant! I feeling have said my in Baltimore, the twin Cities and all over the ICC old BB. Not going to die on this hill! Too much money in play.

Congrats to NAHB and everyone else responsible for overturning the ridiculous sprinkler requirements!!!! Great to see special interest groups and profiteering companies sent packing by the PA House. Hopefully the PA Senate has as much wisdom and foresight as the PA House. That leaves California as....well the overall situation in California speaks for itself.

incognito,

ridiculous, is not it.Money would be the answer.As for the question. How many lives were lost in SF home fires in your state over the winter months