• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PA-UCC energy codes

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I have a insulator that is trying to shove this Rem/Design simulated performance approach to insulate a house. It is foam insulation with only R21 in the cieling and R14 in walls.

I sent him this letter:

I have reviewed your fax dated 1/28/2013 about insulation in the above property indicating using a “Simulated Performance Approach” as allowed in the 2009 IECC.

Act 45 of the PA-UCC which is the law regulating building codes in PA section 403.21(d) only allows the prescriptive method of the current version of the IECC, REScheck, and the “Pennsylvania Alternative Residential Energy Provisions”

I cannot pass the insulation on this house because of this. I will be waiting for you to specify how this will be brought up to code

I have seen many foam insulation jobs and they always had the right R rating for this area. I never saw this before and I don't think I can pass it. It is a REM/design software system. 2009 IRC N1101.8 specifys an above code program is required to be a national, state, or local energy efficiency program. I don't think REM/design is a goverment program.

I’m in Pennsylvania as well Rick.

I don’t see anything in the Act or Regulation that would allow the use of REM/Design.

PA UCC Reg: 403.21(d), as you stated, only permits the use of:

IRC 2009, Chapter 11; or IECC 2009, Chapter 4; or RESCheck; or Pennsylvania's Alternative Residential Energy Provisions 2009

IRC 2009, N1101.8 seems to be what the PA UCC has provided, by allowing the PA Alternative noted above. The REM/Design, as you stated, is not a national, state, or local energy efficiency program as deemed by the PA UCC (“other authority having jurisdiction”)

Why does he think he can do differently, do he have a code section that he can reference for this exception?

He told me it was approved in other areas in PA. I wonder if he ever insulated a new house before or had a inspection before.

Thanks Jim my colleagues agree with you.