• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

$$$$$$Paid Training $$$$$$Or Not$$$$$$

Bootleg

Silver Member
2009 IRC and IBC update

Who pays for your training, travel expense and lodging?

I live over 100 miles away from the major city.

Do you get paid for driving time, mileage and meals?

sometimes, alittle harder within the past year.

I look for the free stuff, and luckly we are in a major metropolis, so a little more available.

I keep telling people if you are part of any organization, there are smart people in it or that they know that can teach for the cost of a chicken lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The city pays for all expenses. If we have the money in the budget.

I get compensated by comp time if I am driving anytime outside of normal workdays/hours....8 to 5 M-F.

I get paid at the current IRS rate (.50 per mile) if I drive my personal vehicle. Meals are reinbursed up to $35 a day with receipts.

Like Mule

The city pays for all expenses. If we have the money in the budget.

Employees get compensated by comp time at overtime rate if am driving anytime outside of normal workdays/hours....8 to 5 M-F.

We drive city vehicles if we choose to drive our personal vehicle then we are reimburshed for the fuel cost.

Meals are reimbursed at $23 a day no receipts required.

Same for testing for certs. Nearest testing center is 140 miles away and only available on Saturdays

Well until the last couple of years the city paid for everything. Hotel, meals (we got a daily rate for meals and didn't have to return any meal slips) and for time spent over the normal day (Sunday driving and after 5PM) if the training was away. We could use the city car or our own and got paid mileage. (Driving a standard truck without cruise was a real pain so I would drive my own rig withor without mileage so that was a bonus). Most of our training was 100 miles away but I believe they are moving the next session back to the Phoenix area and that's 30 miles away.

Now we on a we can go but we have to pay while the city pays our wages. Anything over 40 hours is placed on the next week's time so we don't go over 80 hours in a pay period. No overtime or comp at this time.

Real tight budget and as of yet no layoffs/paycuts have been enacted by the city for the entire city employees during this crisis. Of course this will be the third year with out any raise also, but it's a job and they managed to keep us around.

We have established an education fund which is a percentage of every permit issued. This has allowed for all emplyees to obtain required CEU's and additonal training completely paid for by the city. Hotel, travel, and a per diem payment is made for employees taking classes more than 75 miles away for more than one day. City vehicles are used for travel and employees are paid their full salary during the hours of the class, incuding weeknd courses..

I pay for mine, I pay for those that work for me too. There is a state fund that is suppose to offset the costs but that is another story.

The city pays for meals, travel, hotels and depending on what class you are attending the state pays for a lot of the training.

City pays, it was easier when the budget was better, but they still cover what we need for CEU's for certs. We have been keeping it local so that there are no hotel expenses, try to find meals included training also.

I Pay my own expenses. A few times they have paid for training. They have cut a good budget to the point that to get a few yellow tablets it is a half hour project.

Job sucks, pay sucks and the political environment in just as bad!

We have a small training budget, and try to take advantage of any free training out there. I have spent my own money on training/books that I have thought were worthwhile.

Town vehicles can be used for local training - no reimbursement for use of personal vehicles.

Have not been turned down when requesting reimbursement for certs.

Tight budget managed to get my certification renewals in this year training and books paying out of my pocket then turning in receipt so far so good but still need 20 more CEU'S this year. Been finding classes for less than $50 with 6 CEU'S hopefully they continue.

I live 150 miles from the nearest testing center or seminar. Most of the time it has been the city who has picked up the tab for training, certs, etc. I always take my own pick-up, mainly because I don't trust the city car (old crown vic cop car) to make it out of the county. I have been doing webinars as they don't require travel and I can sit in my office with a do not disturb sign. My boss also likes this idea.

Sue, where the west still lives...............

There are several on line and webinar training opportunities available... a really good option.

I never rely on my employer to provide training for me (which benefits.. well, me).. I chose where/when I attend training and pay for it myself.. I need it to remain ICC certified, and am a better inspector for it.

From time to time, they offer to pay for travel.. not always (so I look for local training).. from time to time, I can combine personal travel with training opportunities... I sit at home and do on-line stuff because it's convenient, cheap and meets my schedule.