• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Paint Booth Exhaust Ducts

fireguy

Gold Member
I got an inspection on a dry chemical fire suppression system in a paint booth. My work passed w/o a problem.

The building inspector required 2 layers of 5/8 sheet rock installed on the roof trusses. The rock is facing the exhaust and intake ducts. There is also 2 layers on the inside of the metal roof. There is a thin layer of plastic faced insulation between the sheet rock and the metal roof. Unfortunatly, there is not 18" of clearance between the sheet rock and the duct.

The inspector is now requiring insulation wrapped around the duct. Except he does not know what/where the code requiring the sheet rock or insulation is, nor can he tell the owner what the specs are for the insulation. The BO did give the owner a copy of page 12, but page 12 is not from the 2010 Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code or the 2010 Oregon Fire Code.

from page 12

"(i) Protect exhaust ducts against mechanical damage and maintain a clearance of at least 18 inches from unprotected combustable construction or other combustable material.

(ii) If combustable contruction is provided with the following protection applied to all surfaces within 18" of the exhaust duct, clearances may be reduced to the distances indicated:

(a) 28 gage sheet metal on 1/4" insulating millboard..........12 inches

(b) 28 gage sheet metal on 1/8 inch rookwool insulating millboard spaced out 1 inch on non-combustable spacers.... 9 inches

© 22 gage sheet metal on 1 inch rockwooll bats reinforced with wire mesh or the equivalent.....3 inches

I think I upset the BO last week when I set up the appointment for the inspection. I asked what his qualification were to inspect the booth. He told me that he was certified. Today he asked the State FM where the smoke detectors were in the booth. I knew I forgot something.

Are the requirements for the sheet rock, clearnances and insulation found any place in the IMC or NFPA? Does any one know where page 12 came from?

Have not heard or seen the requirement!!!!

I think I would keep pushing show me the book

I guess my question why are you putting smoke detectors in a paint booth?????

In a rated roof assembly which you have - maybe almost somewhat. a penetration like a duct or even a skylight can create a SHAFT type penetration .

that is most likely what the inspector is trying to remember to apply. (You are correct to challenge and request in writing- in my world that is all you would ever get)

the duct once penetrasting the membrane of the TOTAL ASSEMBLY will in effect need to be enclosed in a shaft type assembly.

duct rated wrap can achieve that as well as a gypsum created shaft. < Gwb may be less depending on lenght and configuration.

the fire rated duct wrap may as well be made of FRT MONEY

I have used the wrap to qualify even chimney vents through such spaces