• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Panel Interlock Kit

If it goes directly into the back of the inlet box and is not exposed to outside elements it’s fine.
That poster thought it was being used from genny to inlet.

If it goes directly into the back of the inlet box and is not exposed to outside elements it’s fine.
That poster thought it was being used from genny to inlet.

Cool. The NM-B cable goes from main panel inside home to inlet box and has conduit around from a foot inside home to inlet box which is approximately 6 feet from home.

Cool. The NM-B cable goes from main panel inside home to inlet box and has conduit around from a foot inside home to inlet box which is approximately 6 feet from home.

Then your electrician made a minor mistake. NEC (National Electrical Code) 334.12(B)(4) states type NM shall not be used in wet locations. NEC 300.5(B) states that underground raceways shall be considered a wet location. 300.9 states that outdoor above grade raceways shall be considered a wet location.

Your electrician should have transitioned to THHN-THWN2 conductors before going outside.

Your current install will work fine if you need to use it for this storm, but I would get your guy back to correct it.

I take it gasoline ??

Is the exhaust where it will not accumulate under the deck
Or
With a wind, blow into the house ??

I take it gasoline ??

Is the exhaust where it will not accumulate under the deck
Or
With a wind, blow into the house ??
It runs off gas, I set it so exhaust faces away from house. I have Carbon monoxide detectors in home.

The generator is 10 to 15 feet from the house under a patio cover that is “not very big”. That’s not a risk worth taking.

My pleasure. If you have any questions about any aspect of construction, stay away from the DIYer sites. Come to the forum full of building code officials, registered design professionals and licensed contractors.

Thanks for all the help. I was seeing quite a bit of disagreement on these issues on the DIY sites and ended up here for the same logic you mentioned.

By chance did anyone draw some electrical plans for this??

If so what do they show

The generator is 10 to 15 feet from the house under a patio cover that is “not very big”. That’s not a risk worth taking.

Should I push the generator out a little further? Maybe not under the deck when it runs?

Was trying to keep it out of the snow and or rain.

I don’t know if it’s listed for outdoors exposed to the elements. Either way I understand the desire to protect it, but under an attached patio cover creates a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Then there’s a fire potential. Think of it this way, would you be comfortable if a Volkswagen was sitting there....with the engine running.

The manufacturer should have directions regarding this. As an inspector I would reject the setup. I can’t think of a code violation other than not following the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

I am never the last word on anything so it may be just fine. Kinda deadly....but just fine.

Last edited:
Should I push the generator out a little further? Maybe not under the deck when it runs?

Was trying to keep it out of the snow and or rain.

Either that or depending on what the exhaust pipe looks like
Hose clamp a flex or solid pipe to it
To get it out from under the patio