• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Panic Hardware and Door Closer

Kendra

I am trying to figure out if I need panic hardware/door closer/fire rated door for a vestibule that I am designing on an existing building.

I have a 5B Construction Type Building, Occupancy Group B. The occupant load is 91 for the entire building spread over three floor. There are 4 exits total to this building (including this one at the vestibule). This will be the only ADA accessible entrance to the building. The fire separation is 15' to the lot line. What kind of special hardware would I need?

If all B, no panic hardware required. Only required where group A or E and OL > 49.

Hardware would need to provide accessible use (i.e. no knobs). Lever, push bar, or loop will work.

1010.1.10 Panic and Fire Exit Hardware
Swinging doors serving a Group H occupancy and swinging doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock other than panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

Exceptions:

1. A main exit of a Group A occupancy shall be permitted to have locking devices in accordance with Section 1010.1.9.4, Item 2.
  2. Doors provided with panic hardware or fire exit hardware and serving a Group A or E occupancy shall be permitted to be electrically locked in accordance with Section 1010.1.9.9 or 1010.1.9.10.
Electrical rooms with equipment rated 1,200 amperes or more and over 6 feet (1829 mm) wide, and that contain overcurrent devices, switching devices or control devices with exit or exit access doors, shall be equipped with panic hardware or fire exit hardware. The doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel.