• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Parking lot guards - how far

Inspector 102

Silver Member
A business has a parking lot that is elevated approx. 6 feet above the adjacent sidewalk by a retaining wall. Does Section 1013 of the IBC apply to an area that is 100 feet from the structure or is this an owner call for liability reasons. The proposed guard provides 4" maximum spacing, however is only 40" in height. Should nother code be used in this application such as ANSI 117.1?

First off I would ask which building code are you using?

The 2009 IBC, says if your drop is within 36" of the walking surface which the parking lot is, then the guard would be required, however a good portion of the time, owners install fencing in these area were a guard is not required by the building code.

Section 1013 has it's limits and there is no guard requirements in ANSI A117.1, so I would say no to that.

In the 2009 IBC it says simply that non-required guards don't have to be the required height, however, prior IBC codes left the word required out and thus one could argue that if there it needs to comply, even if it is not required.

Being it is on the prints as a GUARD, I would note needs to be 42" high, but that is just me.

Inspector102,

From the `06 IBC, Section 106.2 - Site Plan. IMO, the Site Plan ' WOULD '

require an approved type guard to be installed in your application of the walking

surfaces being 30 inches or more above the adjacent grade, for "NEW"

construction.

For exisiting sites, ...from the `06 IPMC, Section 306.1 - GENERAL: "Every

exterior and interior flight of stairs having more than four risers shall have a

handrail on one side of the stair and every open portion of a stair, landing,

balcony, porch, deck, ramp or other walking surface which is more than 30

inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below shall have guards.

Handrails shall not be less than 30 inches (762 mm) high or more than 42

inches (1067 mm) high measured vertically above the nosing of the tread or

above the finished floor of the landing or walking surfaces..........Guards shall

not be less than 30 inches (762 mm) high above the floor of the landing,

balcony, porch, deck, or ramp or other walking surface."

Exception: Guards shall not be required where exempted by the adopted

building code.