• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Parking lot signage

Re: Parking lot signage

rjj,

I concur with genebko. The Code of Federal Regulations,

Part 36, Appendix - A, July 1, 1994 Edition, Section 4.6.4

- Signage: This section does not prohibit the mounting of

the signs on the building."Such signs shall be located so

that they cannot be obscured by a vehicle parked

in the space."

The signage IS required to be located at a certain height,

...with a minimum reflective type finish and with certain

dimensionally sized letters / numbers.

RJJ said:
Can the van and other signage be mounted on the building instead of on a pole?If so, is there a section that permits this!
In Illinois, Illinois Accessibility Code, 400.310©(7):

Signs shall be vertically mounted on a post or wall at front center of the parking space, no more than

5 feet horizontally from the front of the parking space and set a minimum of

4 feet from finished grade to the bottom of the sign. Such signs shall be

located so they cannot be obscured by a vehicle parked in the space.

(ADAAG 4.6.4)

In PA I asked my local L&I auditor and was told the sign can be on the building. There are some instances where it actually makes more sense. I have been allowing it since I could not find any language that prohibited it.

Oh just for giggles and grins. . . we ARE talking about a building that is relatively close to the parking space. . .

. . . right? :lol:

I can tell you that in Maryland and Wyoming it can be posted on the building. Let common sense rule. If the parking space is close or adjacent to the building, a building mounted sign is a heck of a lot better solution then a head splitting post mounted sign especially for the sight impaired.

There is no specific requirement regarding building or stanchion to mount the sign and the height is not specified in the ADAAG, only a recommendation of 60" to the bottom edge of signage when mounted on a post in front of the vehicle. Also clearance for headroom (6'8") if the sign should encroach into a path of travel.

The MAIN focus though is that the sign be located so that the sign cannot be obscured when a vehicle is parked in the space and that is can be seen from the driver seat of a "van".

There is a downloadable copy of the ADAAG Manual (like the IBC Handbook) at the access-board.gov website.