• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Paslode galvanized 3" x 0.120" for exterior deck joists

jar546

Forum Coordinator
How or what gun he used to put nails into joist hangars I am still unaware of. I did a double-take on that one but in the end, I had to reject the installation for not meeting the spec's of Simpson Strong-Tie. Getting the nails out was a fiasco and that ship has since sailed and the contractor will never make that mistake again.

The real question is the other situation that I had.

Contractor purchased and used all 10d galvanized 1-1/4" nails for all LUS210 hangars on a deck. I only caught this because I looked at the box on the floor in the walkout basement below the deck and asked where the other box was for the longer nails that were required. Oops. The argument then became that pulling the short nails out would make the new nails worse because the fibers of the wood were already stretched. I said maybe, but only for the 1st 1-1/2".

How would you have handled it?

nails need both end bearing and friction bearing along the length of the nail to get the full value. With as many deck failures as there have been, it's not unreasonable to think some of us may make the deck come down and start over... get it on the plans in the first place.

jar546 said:
The argument then became that pulling the short nails out would make the new nails worse because the fibers of the wood were already stretched. I said maybe, but only for the 1st 1-1/2".
Commons will stretch those fibers just a little more. If they argue too loudly, you could relent and agree that the holes are too loose.....so the fix now becomes replacing the ledger.