• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pass Code or Not?

Cory

427255aab8864f44efcf0be4cea90ce5.jpg
d0ba3453e7d0d485b62cb4f172d97246.jpg

This is a picture of our deck being built. Beam missed footing by quite a bit. I know this does not meet quality standards and shouldnt meet code. Can this be resolved without digging out the footing? This is in Aurora,Co.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cory said:
427255aab8864f44efcf0be4cea90ce5.jpg
d0ba3453e7d0d485b62cb4f172d97246.jpg
This is a picture of our deck being built. Beam missed footing by quite a bit. I know this does not meet quality standards and shouldnt meet code. Can this be resolved without digging out the footing? This is in Aurora,Co.

55f83e8c24b8552154bb007e72b996ac.jpg
8991712824c531761222afe6afa76ba4.jpg

Welcome.......

Monday you may get more replies

Guess you are not the contractor???

If not what does the contractor in charge propose as a solution??!

If you are going to live in the house, you have to live with this, and it is not what you paid for.

Plus if you leave it and passed inspection this time, might not pass if you ever sale

Not a structural person , but what does the contractor say about adding to it??

Dig a hole , form it, make footing bigger!! If it will hold and not shift.

The anchor required is 5/8". If it is there, it was drilled and installed with epoxy. That wouldn't be easy to do without busting out the corner.

I wouldn't accept that because it is pretty much ridiculous. It certainly doesn't match the plans. They missed the center on all three footings. Although the center post isn't hanging over and is probably within bounds for the loading, it just looks terrible. There is no patch for that. The footings need to be done over from scratch.

The violation notice should say that eccentrically loaded footings are not allowed. It is surprising that they didn't fix it before they built on top of them. Now they are going to bugger up stuff doing the work over.

Last edited by a moderator:
The anchor required is 5/8". If it is there, it was drilled and installed with epoxy. That wouldn't be easy to do without busting out the corner.I wouldn't accept that because it is pretty much ridiculous. It certainly doesn't match the plans. They missed the center on all three footings. Although the center post isn't hanging over and is probably within bounds for the loading, it just looks terrible. There is no patch for that. The footings need to be done over from scratch.

The violation notice should say that eccentrically loaded footings are not allowed. It is surprising that they didn't fix it before they built on top of them. Now they are going to bugger up stuff doing the work over.
Agree with ICE however I would suggest helical piers https://www.piertech.com/products/helical-piers.html for the fix

Agree with ICE however I would suggest helical piers https://www.piertech.com/products/helical-piers.html for the fix
Those are quite good for certain situations but I don't see why you would think they would be great for this application. They have plenty of room to put in basic spread footings, especially after the mess they already have put in.

This problem can be fixed without digging out the foundation but that may not be the cheapest nor fastest way. I am assuming that neither an engineer or architect are involved with the project, If this is not the case talk with the engineer or architect.

Tell the contractor that this is not acceptable since it does not comply with the permitted drawings and that he has two options. Remove and rebuild the footing correctly or implement a repair that you will have designed by an engineer and he will be responsible for the engineers fee. I would not be comfortable leaving the contractor to develop and implement a fix.

Eccentrically loaded footings are allowed by the building code when properly designed.

This problem can be fixed without digging out the foundation but that may not be the cheapest nor fastest way. I am assuming that neither an engineer or architect are involved with the project, If this is not the case talk with the engineer or architect.Tell the contractor that this is not acceptable since it does not comply with the permitted drawings and that he has two options. Remove and rebuild the footing correctly or implement a repair that you will have designed by an engineer and he will be responsible for the engineers fee. I would not be comfortable leaving the contractor to develop and implement a fix.

Eccentrically loaded footings are allowed by the building code when properly designed.
Smother it in concrete?

You are right about the code not outlawing eccentrically loaded footings. An engineer could design a structure with the post on the edge. An engineer could find a way to restrain the anchor in the last inch of concrete in two directions. An engineer could do that. An architect on the other hand....well an architect would see what a mess it is and ask the engineer to come up with something else.

Recommend seek the services of a design professional or do it over. And if the deck ledger is attached to the brick veneer have it engineered or do it right; if adhered brick check for proper flashing.

The odds of there not being an engineer for the tract are slim to none. So if they want to waste some money they should ask the engineer if doing it over is okay.

Rear elevation Picture angle is Kind of distorted but it looks like all of the bases are "off center" of the bases/footings.

& + &

Cory,

Which Code & Edition are you using in this application ?

Does not meet code and manufacturer Standards
Which Code & sections is this not compliant to ?& + &

north star said:
& + &Cory,

Which Code & Edition are you using in this application ?

Which Code & sections is this not compliant to ?

& + &
I am the owner wondering why this passed inspections. It doesnt seem right that it is hanging off the edge of the footing.

Cory:

Are you sure it has passed any inspections? Something like this isn't usually caught until final inspection, during foundation inspections inspectors don't measure to be sure the piers are in the right location. I had this happen in the 70s, the engineer had custom fabricated iron post bases specified, drilling in sandstone on a steep hillside the drill bit "wandered"., we poured and set the post base in the wet concrete. When we came to install the deck posts after the home was framed and inspected it became obvious that we were way off, I called the engineer and he had me "burn off" the post base and drill and epoxy-in a Simpson post base, get the engineer back and I'm sure he'll do something similar. BTW, I'm a builder not an inspector, thank God.

Cory, this is good advice

You should contact the building department to speak with a supervisor and forward a pic to him/her.
Anchor bolt if installed may not have proper coverage as mentioned.

Also in your description your calling it a beam, you meant to call it a post.

also it's your investment, can or could you ever live with that mistake?

I am the owner wondering why this passed inspections. It doesnt seem right that it is hanging off the edge of the footing.

If this passed inspection I can only wonder what else got by the inspector.

It's a tract. Scheduling is tight. The sad truth is that every trade will proceed if at all possible and the swing-and-a-miss will likely be addressed "later". It becomes a priority when it can no longer be deprioritized. I doubt if it has been inspected yet. Notice no footings have been poured yet for the stair landing. The whole thing is still in process.

Brent