• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Past the expiration date

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
I was presented with a new one (to me, anyway) this morning: A builder bought a large volume of framing material at a bargain :roll: THREE YEARS AGO!!. It has remained in the original bunks and wraps, but setting in an open lot for the entire time - now he's using it to frame a house. I'd post photos, but I'm afraid of meeting the same fate as Tigerloose. At any rate, the lumber's now black with mold. What - if anything - prohibits him from using it? It isn't "used", and it is stamped by an approved agency (half a decade ago!).

Your thoughts?

Re: Past the expiration date

The mfgr's instuctions probably discussed handling and storage. If the materials were not stored in accordance with those approved instructions (as evidenced by the mold or mildew) they are no longer in conformance. I would ask that they be inspected again by either the manufacturer or PE.

Just to play devil's adovocate - what code basis or reference do I use to back up the order to remove the materials or supply a certification? Is it the reference to DOC PS 20, as in §602.1? My understanding of DOC PS 20 is that it governs grading of lumber and accreditation of grading agencies. I can almost gaurantee that this will go to the Board of Appeals, so I want to be sure I have a fairly sound code reference for my decision.

Go a little farther down in the code and try this!

R104.11.1 Tests. Whenever there is insufficient evidence of

compliance with the provisions of this code, or evidence

that a material or method does not conform to the requirements

of this code, or in order to substantiate claims for

alternative materials or methods, the building official shall

have the authority to require tests as evidence of compliance

to be made at no expense to the jurisdiction. Test methods

shall be as specified in this code or by other recognized test

standards. In the absence of recognized and accepted test

methods, the building official shall approve the testing procedures.

Tests shall be performed by an approved agency.

Reports of such tests shall be retained by the building official

for the period required for retention of public records.

let THEM prove it still meets the grading requirements.

Feel free to reject it..