• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Path Between Non-Egress Door and Sidewalk - Accessible?

3Darchitect

Hello All,

I have a condition that I can't figure out if it needs to conform to accessible standards. There is a door coming out of the building that is NOT part of the required egress out of the building (I don't think its going to have an EXIT sign above it). This door needs to connect to a nearby public sidewalk via a path (the door is not immediately at the property line). The problem is that there is a challenging grade difference between the door (high) and the sidewalk (low). Having this path conform to accessible standards (max slope, smoothness, etc) is going to be difficult.

The question then is - does this path have to be accessible?

Only two accessible means of egress are required if two or more means of egress are required for a building. If there are two other means of egress that are accessible, you are fine.

However, Section 1010.1 requires doors used for egress "in numbers greater than required" by code to comply with the code. Thus, the door must still comply with floor elevation and landing requirements.

Stairs can be used to access the walkway provided they comply with the stairway requirements of the codes and accessibility standards (ADA and ANSI/ICC A117.1).

Only two accessible means of egress are required if two or more means of egress are required for a building. If there are two other means of egress that are accessible, you are fine.

However, Section 1010.1 requires doors used for egress "in numbers greater than required" by code to comply with the code. Thus, the door must still comply with floor elevation and landing requirements.

Stairs can be used to access the walkway provided they comply with the stairway requirements of the codes and accessibility standards (ADA and ANSI/ICC A117.1).
This is exactly the clarification I need. Thank you so much!!