• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Patient Sleeping Rooms and NEC 517

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Does Part II of Article 517 of the NEC apply to patient sleeping rooms of nursing homes or limited care facilities where patient care activities do not involve the use of electrical or electronic life support systems; or invasive procedures where patients are electrically connected to line connected electromedical devices?

As they are doing vitals and things like that I would call it a patient care area......

Patient Care Space.

Any space of a health care facility wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated. [99:3.3.127]

As they are doing vitals and things like that I would call it a patient care area......

Patient Care Space.

Any space of a health care facility wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated. [99:3.3.127]
The official answer is no. Patient sleeping rooms in nursing homes such as the one described in the original post do not have to comply with Part II of NEC 517.

2023 NEC....I stand by my answer...IF they provide health care/ patient care some areas will be subject to 517...just depends on where...

Health Care Facilities.

Buildings, portions of buildings, or mobile enclosures in which human medical, dental, psychiatric, nursing, obstetrical, or surgical care is provided. [99:3.3.73] (CMP-15)
Informational Note:
Examples of health care facilities include, but are not limited to, hospitals, nursing homes, limited care facilities, clinics, medical and dental offices, and ambulatory care centers, whether permanent or movable.

1669061895408.png

I don't get hooked to electronic crap at the dentist or psychiatrist, but it is health care.....Like chiropractic and physical therapy and a whole bunch of other non-invasive stuff...

That is a formal interpretation by the NFPA, not an informal one. There is verbiage right in section II that clarifies the position of the formal interpretation. I will abide by the formal interpretation directly from the NFPA.

Jeff, I am confused....I posted the definition of health care facilities directly from the NEC.....? And here is patient care:

Patient Care Vicinity.

A space, within a location intended for the examination and treatment of patients, extending 1.8 m (6 ft) beyond the normal location of the bed, chair, table, treadmill, or other device that supports the patient during examination and treatment and extending vertically to 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.) above the floor. [99:3.3.141] (517) (CMP-15)
ENHANCED CONTENT
Collapse
The patient care vicinity is defined not only by the location of a patient bed but also by other equipment that supports a patient during examination or treatment. The vicinity is also determined by equipment in its normal location used for treatment or in the architect’s plans, rather than the temporary location of equipment subject to movement by housekeeping staff or for the convenience of the medical staff.

I'll do better than that...

(B) Not Covered.

Part II shall not apply to the following:
  • (1)
    Business offices, corridors, waiting rooms, and the like in clinics, medical and dental offices, and outpatient facilities
  • (2)
    Areas of nursing homes and limited care facilities wired in accordance with Chapters 1 through 4 of this Code where these areas are used exclusively as patient sleeping rooms
  • (3)
    Areas used exclusively for any of the following purposes:
    • a.
      Intramuscular injections (immunizations)
    • b.
      Psychiatry and psychotherapy
    • c.
      Alternative medicine
    • d.
      Optometry
IF they provide health care/ patient care some areas will be subject to 517...just depends on where...
I would have them spell out if they provide patient care in the "sleeping" bed or not....We don't necessarily disagree, (and I believe this was a new clarification to 2020NEC) but the word exclusively cannot be overlooked.....