• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Penetration assembly - Roof Beam at Fire Barrier - Does it exist?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
Consider a 1 hour fire barrier (control area separation) that terminates at a composite metal pan/concrete roof deck. A two story type II-B building. The roof deck is not required to be rated. Steel beams support the roof deck.

I would think I can treat a penetrating roof beam as a "penetration" like a pipe and simply fire-caulk around the perimeter but I can't find such a listed assembly. Anyone know of such an thing? It can't be that unique...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Technically, it's a head-of-wall condition. The joint between the wall and deck will follow along the perimeter of the beam.

Technically, it's a head-of-wall condition. The joint between the wall and deck will follow along the perimeter of the beam.

That's what I was thinking Ron. I've got a head-of-wall condition shown based on HW-D-0538 but I've also got a nervous contractor who wants an assembly to hand to the inspector. It's really just a through penetration but no luck finding an actual assembly showing an I-Beam passing thru a wall with sealant at the perimeter.

That's what I was thinking Ron. I've got a head-of-wall condition shown based on HW-D-0538 but I've also got a nervous contractor who wants an assembly to hand to the inspector. It's really just a through penetration but no luck finding an actual assembly showing an I-Beam passing thru a wall with sealant at the perimeter.
If the wall is rated, then the head-of-wall condition must be a tested fire-resistive joint assembly.

I've drawn up the detail showing the head of wall condition HW-D-0218 and calling it out as "continuous around the perimeter of the beam". We'll see if that flies!