• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pennsylvania Officials to Review Code After Hotel Fire

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Now mind you, this is the same council that forced the bco to issue a c of o for a business that moved and was non-compliant. Go figure.

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- In 2004, a blaze destroyed the apartment complex that once was the Bellefonte Academy, and 30 people lost their homes.

When another historic building, the Bush House, was destroyed by fire in 2006, the borough wanted to stop the devastating trend that was taking shape. Officials formed a task force to explore ways to prevent fires in the Bellefonte's historic buildings.

After the Cadillac Building was damaged by a fire in 2009, the borough expanded its property maintenance code to require inspections of commercial buildings.

No one has been killed in the fires, and the borough has made progress in its prevention efforts. With the Hotel Do De fire a week ago, all eyes are on what steps borough officials will take now that the number has reached four.

Borough officials have said they have done as much as they can, but the one prevention measure council has not acted on is to require property owners to install sprinklers.

The answer to that is not as black and white as it might seem, officials say, largely because.........................

See link below for full story.

Bellefonte Borough Officials to Review Code Requirements After Hotel Fire

The BCO did not end up issuing it. I, I mean HE had a coming to Jesus meeting with Council and the Solicitor.

rshuey said:
The BCO did not end up issuing it. I, I mean HE had a coming to Jesus meeting with Council and the Solicitor.
That is good to hear.

The real question is whether or not the business just continued to function without a C of O..............

But that was not the point of this post.

YOu are a popular guy huh? LOL

Very popular. The public sees me as the man making people clean up or demo these buildings. I can feel the love, man. haha

The business did close to get the permits and install the required 2-hour fire separation. They were ****ed because they just loaded all the inventory into it and had to rent storage space to move it back out.

To this day, my wife is no longer allowed to purchase jewelry there. lol

rshuey said:
The business did close to get the permits and install the required 2-hour fire separation. They were ****ed because they just loaded all the inventory into it and had to rent storage space to move it back out.To this day, my wife is no longer allowed to purchase jewelry there. lol
Good for you! I will not enter the local movie house because it does not have a sprinkler system. When the building was remodeled to become a mullti-plex, the city overruled the inspector. Oregon code required a sprinkler to be installed. The fire extinguishers and fire alarm system were not inspected. The owner later sold the building andbuilt a multiplex in Vanouver, USA. It has a sprinkler system. The owner, an attorney