• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Periodic Inspections of Commercial Buildings

Joker

Bronze Member
Good Afternoon.

We are in the process of restructuring how we inspect commercial buildings and I'm trying to get a feel for whats going on in the industry.

Our code calls for inspections as close a possible to annually on all commercial buildings. That isn't possible. Some people in our administration want to get rid of annual inspections all together since the Fire Marshall inspects assembly and high hazard buildings. I'm comfortable with stretching it out to 2-4 years as long as there's no complaints or violations. I know that some cities inspect: if there's a change of owner, if there's a change of the occupant, every 2-6 years, and some don't do it at all. My questions are:

Do you perform periodic commercial inspections?

On what occupancies?

How often?

What's your population?

What municipality?

50000 people

10 sq miles

FM office

We inspect every thing once a year to include apartments

About 700 inspections

2 1/2 inspectors

Suggest do the bigger sq ft places, all cooking establishments, hotels, motels

So Joker building deparment doing annuals, rare

Or do you have code enforcement under you??

cda said:
50000 people10 sq miles

FM office

We inspect every thing once a year to include apartments

About 700 inspections

2 1/2 inspectors

Suggest do the bigger sq ft places, all cooking establishments, hotels, motels

So Joker building deparment doing annuals, rare

Or do you have code enforcement under you??
CDA

Thanks for the quick response!!!

We have Property Maintenance under the Director and Building Code under Me.

If you are comfortable with the level of inspector by the fire marshal,

Maybe bump those to every other or three year cycle

We have some places inspected by three city agencies in one year, and we all look for about the same thing