• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Permit Tyranny

Not really. No determination if there WAS a mistake, or if it was too steep. Inspector, according to story so far, just said it was too steep. Brent
Albany (at the time) had a template at it's permit counter with cut-out cars that you pushed over the plan to check not only grade percentage and radii for bumper and undercarriage scraping. I never saw it until the Bald Eagle called me on it at final, but a problem was that the cut-out cars were for ¼" scale plans and the driveway was on the surveyor's plot plan at 1" = 10', probably why the plan checker didn't use it.

David. do you still have that template?

This was about 46 years ago, the "plan checker" was a gal at the counter, probably the Bald Eagle's secretary, in any jurisdiction at that time I could permit a single family home over the counter as long as I had the plans drawn by an architect and the plans sealed by an engineer. It was my argument that the approval constituted acceptance of the plans submitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSDRIVER said:
Not really. No determination if there WAS a mistake, or if it was too steep. Inspector, according to story so far, just said it was too steep. Brent
The bumper dragging in the street doesn't do it for you?

He could not quote a code section, just said it was his policy. Interestingly nobody makes those 60s 19' land yachts anymore so everything turned out alright.

ICE said:
Not to be snide, but hell no. I could just counter with a jeep. Driveway could be 45 degrees and pass the dumb bumper drag test.

Or get a bagged 66 impala and drop it to the frame and NO driveway would pass.

I never heard of the six-meatheads-in-a-Buick standard.

Now if the city had an approach/departure standard that was exceeded, then it would not be to code.

Brent.

Any time an inspector says it is his policy and cannot provide a code provision he is exceeding his authority.

I would expect there to be formal standards for public streets but you are talking about a private road. Maybe this is one of the things that are not addressed in the code and as a result whether it is satisfactory or not is up to the owner and his contractor.