• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Permit, yes--inspections, no

ICE

Oh Well
A permit was obtained 11 years ago to convert a barn to a garage. No inspections were ever requested. As surprising as the lack of inspections is that nobody on our side thought to go look before the permit was expired. The property is in escrow and the garage must be legalized.

It appears to be a fine building. The property is 1.7 acres and listed for $1,550,000.00. The description states: "20 car garage."

Appearances can be deceiving.

A section of wall has been opened and there aren't any anchor bolts. At each skylight, the top chord of the TJI on each side has been removed. One side and the rear wall are built atop masonry retaining walls. Although not conclusive, tapping the masonry with a hammer indicates that it is not solid grouted. The masonry looks sloppy, which is not a good sign. It would be such a shame to lose this building because it's foundation is no good.

I was brought in late in the game and had to leave the meeting early to put out another fire; so I don't know what plans, if any, exist. Since this property is in escrow, there will probably be an expedited plan check and fast track construction. I hope nobody throws-up when they find out what will be required for inspection.

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention that the house and barn were built in 1948. Nothing about this garage looks older than 11 years and it's pretty much the same with the house. I will operate under the premise that the only original feature of the barn that's still there, is the location. The house is off limits for now.

Is that the HO in pic one? He obviously couldn't request any inspections due to the fact that he has no head.

Ya, it sort of creeped me out when I kept hearing "Talk to the hand." And oh my goodness, he has horses. Halloween must be a blast.

Last edited by a moderator: