• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

photo ID added on handicap hang tags

mark handler

SAWHORSE
http://financial.tmcnet.com/news/2010/08/22/4968743.htm

Handicap hang tag program changes going smoothly, state says

Aug 22, 2010 (The Beaufort Gazette - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- South Carolina's move to put photo IDs on handicap hang tags seems to be going smoothy seven months after the law requiring them went into effect, state officials say.

The law requires all disabled people to get the photo ID added when they renew their tag or by Jan. 1, 2013. The state's handicap tags are valid for up to four years.

More than 38,000 permanent placards and 7,328 temporary placards -- for disabilities lasting at least four months -- were issued in South Carolina from Jan. 4 to July 30.

The law was changed because South Carolina legislators were concerned about fraudulent use of the tags.

"You see so many people that are using handicap tags and they get out and go in a store and walk around and come back," said Joyce Golden, a resident of Summit Place of Beaufort, who uses a hang tag. "So you know they're not handicapped." S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles director of communications Beth Parks said in an e-mail that a few people complained early in the year about having their picture displayed or not being able to come in because of medical reasons. Many of those issues were resolved by issuing a disabled license plate rather than a placard, Parks said.

Locally, AARP driving instructor Don Ferguson and representatives of Share Inc. Senior Center, Summit Place of Beaufort and Bluffton-Hilton Head Senior Center said they hadn't heard of any problems with the new law.

Golden praised the new law and was one of many who didn't need a new photo taken when she got her tag in May because the DMV could use the one already on file for her driver's license.

A violation of the law is a misdemeanor that could result in a fine of $500 to $1,000 or a prison sentence of up to 30 days, or both.

A physician's recertification for a disability is required for individuals to obtain the $1 placard. The placard owners must also carry a registration certificate in their vehicles at all times.

The photo identification and doctor recertification are not required for any agencies that have the authority to transport disabled people.

To see more of The Beaufort Gazette or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.beaufortgazette.com. Copyright © 2010, The Beaufort Gazette, S.C.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services. For more information about the content services offered by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services (MCT), visit www.mctinfoservices.com, e-mail services@mctinfoservices.com, or call 866-280-5210 (outside the United States, call +1 312-222-4544).

It's a shame that people will go to any extremes; such as taking a handicapped persons parking place; to keep from walking a few feet.

Uncle Bob

I knew people in Seattle who used them to avoid paying $200 or more a month in parking fees. Parking at the meters with a HC placard was free and unlimited.

Interestingly when my mom was dying several years ago, my dad was able to get a HC plate because her mobility was limited. When he went to the store without her, he felt guilty parking in the assigned spaces until people would get mad at him for not using the HC spots and park in a convenient non designated spot.

The problem with the photo ID system is exactly that it identifies only the person with the specific disability and not the "driver" as you pointed out Coug Dad. If I drive my dad to the grocery store and park the car and we both get out at the same time, his picture would be on the tag but if I dropped him off then I'd be the one getting out of the vehicle.

I''m glad that there are no problems so far - and I hope it stays that way.